Manistee Skamania - Fly Fishing Forum
Great Lakes Steelhead & Salmon Amazing "Inland ocean" fisheries

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-29-2005, 11:47 AM

Cool Manistee Skamania

For all those looking for some descent skamania fishing right now, the manistee river is starting to heat up a bit. The fishing has been slow, but consistant hit the deep runs on the shady side of the river for best results and also any deep run in white water. I have been doing really well on black leach patterns and single egg peach and orange. Some fish have made it to Tippy, but this is not the best fishing to be had right know the pier and lower parts of the river are holding fish better right know mid July will change all of this though Tippy above and below the spillway will be excellent by then. just as a final note to those who dont fish skamania or for those who just dont realize the impact skamania almost always die when released due to heat lack of oxygen so please catch your limit and head home. I would really like my son to be able to enjoy these magnificent fish in ten years.

Last edited by chrome king; 06-29-2005 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Needed to add a special note
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2005, 12:34 PM

Skamania

Looking at trying the Manistee for Skamania and not a fly fisherman. Although I have a flyrod and have fished for steelies in the Huron and Vermillion with little luck in the fall. My buddy and I have fished the Manistee by backtrolling and have done well. Do you think this method would work on summer run steelies?
Old 07-14-2005, 08:53 AM

chrome

What is the water temperature? Unless it is too hot to be fishing for them, the steelhead should survive on release. They get stressed in the high 60's.

Practice is about increasing your repertoire of ways to recover from your mistakes. Joann C. Gutin
Old 07-16-2005, 08:44 AM
thread killer

not good

USGS 04125550 MANISTEE RIVER NEAR WELLSTON, MI

Temperature, water, degrees Celsius
Most recent value: 22.9 07-16-2005 08:00

72* - 73* *F

BIG MANISTEE RIVER, WELLSTON MI.
Old 07-17-2005, 05:06 PM

Send a message via AIM to Dornblaser
Leave the alone

May I suggest that you leave the Skamania alone in the summer. Rather than kill those magnificent fish, explore some of the great trout water that is nearby.

David Dornblaser

P.S. - this is a fly fishing forum.

Last edited by Dornblaser; 07-18-2005 at 03:03 PM.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:18 PM

Classy!

Quote:
P.S. - this is a fly fishing forum.
Real classy.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:35 PM

It is Fly Fishing

Rob,

Sorry, but this is a fly fishing forum.

Take a look at Chrome King's post "Greed is not always good" in the Skamania Mania! thread. Chrome King states the case well why catching Skamania in the summer hurts the steelhead fishery. Michigan has a lot of great fishing alternatives.

David
Old 07-18-2005, 04:09 PM

I know

I know it is a fly fishing forum. I now also know it is sometimes a snobby fly fishing forum.

Chrome King's posts that you reference give a very consistent message. Skamanias are fun and tasty. Most will die, so go ahead and catch your limit, but don't waste fish you aren't going to eat. (sorry CK for paraphrasing) What he says makes sense to me. Those fish are put there in order to be caught. Telling people to go pick on the wild, and sometimes native, trout populations instead of taking advantage of the non-native, non-wild, put and take steelhead populations while they are still edible and good fighters does not make sense to me.

I probably shouldn't comment though, since I fished tube jigs and buzz baits for part of the weekend.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:30 PM

Snobby?

I fail to see how making the suggestion to leave the Skamania alone during the hot summer is snobby?

Just because a steelhead is stocked does not mean that you should take.

David Dornblaser
Old 07-18-2005, 04:49 PM

I was talking about two separate issues...

Issue 1 -- Stating "this is a fly fishing forum" in response to someone that posted "I'm not a fly fisherman" could be construed by a normal and reasonable person as being snobby.

Issue 2 -- Stating "just because every steelhead is stocked doesn't mean you should take" is misleading because Chrome King never said that. What he said was if you're going to fish for them, keep them, but don't catch and release more than your limit because they will likely die and go to waste. He's 100% right. If we weren't catching them, they would no longer be stocked. They're not native, not wild, and put here for the sole purpose of being caught by sport fishermen. So taking them is absolutely acceptable. Being greedy and taking more than your share is not acceptable.

Clearer?
Old 07-18-2005, 04:51 PM

Clearer

Yes, it is clearer.

Point 1 - no offense meant.

Point 2 - Your argument is clear, although I do not entirely agree with it. The Skamanias will be in the river in the Fall - Spring when they can be caught and released if that is the angler's choice.

It was not my intent to start a C&R discussion but merely to point out that there are other fishing choices that do not require the death of the fish. All of this is making think that I should try the St. Joe's for smallies this summer.

David

Last edited by Dornblaser; 07-18-2005 at 04:59 PM.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:29 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I skimmed this on purpose because I (purposely) didn't want to get mired in the details... but at 30,000ft here's the deal with the Flyfishing Forum, from my perspective:

Unlike many major "flyfishing" websites we are actually what we say we are, a flyfishing website. That being said, it's great to discuss off-topic items like baseball, favorite libations, you know the stuff people would chat about in a lodge after fishing or when enjoying a club banquet, etc.

We also occasionally discuss off-topic items like conventional fishing on this flyfishing website. It shouldn't be considered out of bounds, nor avoided by any means.

But to say that's snobby is kind of a stretch, the camaraderie here is definitely among it's strong suites. I could argue that such is the reaction of those who want the site to befit their fishing approach and philosophies rather than the implied reverse.

I'm confident we'll never be the place to get GPS coords of pogies to snag, or curing recipes for fresh roe. We should consider the site a vehicle to build and maintain our partnership with non-flyfishing anglers in the fight to protect the fish and their habitats (united front).

Besides there are many good lessons to be learned from keeping an open mind about the various fishing techniques and it's all good stuff to discuss. Inspection of bait or the design of an effective lure will influence my fly patterns all the time
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 07-18-2005, 06:40 PM

Location: Many. From NE salt, Russia, Canadian A Salmon, NW Steelhead, Bahamas, Keys. Live in Upstate NY
Aww, com'on . . . if you have any recipes for curing roe I'm definitely interested. Don't hold back.
B
Old 07-18-2005, 08:42 PM

Snobby

Juro, I hope I did not imply that I thought this site was snobby. I don't believe that at all. This site is great. I just thought that the comment made, in the context it was made, sounded snobby and offputting to potential new fly fishers. And David's a nice guy too so I was surprised. I was partially ribbing him for a comment he made to me on another site when he mentioned to me that my comments were offputting to new members. In hindsite I should have done that through private message. I must have just interpreted that comment incorrectly as I have recently been fishing many more techniques than fly fishing. I suppose its really no big deal either way. David and I have since PMed and made things nice. No offense intended here either.

FWIW -- I'd rather catch them in the fall too, so long as they're still bright. I personally don't like to eat fish and usually keep less than 1 fish a year. But I wouldn't begrudge anyone the opportunity to catch them now, so long as the fish aren't wasted by a fatal release.

I usually just use straight borax for my eggs, but I'm a simpleton.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:58 PM

It's all good.

Juro,

It's all good. While the post may have been testy, between the posts Rob and I have been exchanging PMs/emails explaining our thoughts and talking about trout in SW WI, the drought in the Midwest, his recommendations for boats, etc. In short, there were a couple of off-the-cuff comments that should not have been the basis for a serious discussion.

Thanks for the site. We appreciate being able to be part of it.

David

Last edited by Dornblaser; 07-18-2005 at 09:54 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.