How few Steelhead would it take? - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-28-2005, 05:39 PM

How few Steelhead would it take?

The river is in great shape for june and I have been fishing 3 to 4 hours a day with little results. The thought occured if I would ever give up the long rod. Would 10 fish a year be enough? How about 2 fish or one every two years? If I were new at this game it may look hopeless at times but with 50 years of fishing the same water I have the memories. As long as I still approach each run with hope and optimism I will keep fishing?
As they say "maybe its not the fish I am after". Jerry
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2005, 05:59 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

For me I guess I have a high tolerance for the pursuit paired with what some friends would admit a fair dose of luck through my years in the PNW. But there were certainly dry spells, some of them pretty long and just about when grumblings from a lack of tangible results would enter my mind my arm would just about get pulled out of socket. When I'd finally catch my breath again all the world would be right for a moment of admiration for an alpha trout before it slips away back into the cool flows.

During those brief moments of sheer angling joy I'd realize there could be nothing in numbers that could rival the thrill of a steelhead on a fly, not so long as I can wade, cast and tie a fly.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2005, 07:32 PM

Not many

If it took a lot of steelhead to make the pursuit worthwhile to you, you'd probably be a drift and bait steelhead angler. Fly fishermen don't start out understanding that they aren't after a lot of fish, but most eventually figure it out. Those who need the fish either leave the fly game or limit their effort only to those times and places that do pay off in significant numbers of fish.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:16 AM

It's about quality

not quantity
Old 06-29-2005, 01:07 PM
Registered Spey Offender

One per year, keeper or not. Getting out on the river is the most important thing.

Matt Burke
Old 06-29-2005, 05:25 PM

I've found that it is a great deal easier to be patient and enjoy the sport now that I've experienced many episodes of catching fish and getting confidence that, if the fish are there, I'll catch one. Local trips to rivers when there were fish around build confidence. Trips to rivers like the Dean build confidence.

Recently, I went a long time (~18months) without a steelhead to hand and then this spring I hooked & landed a bunch of fish. It isn't because I suddenly learned how to fish. I used the same rods, flies, locations, techniques etc. but I just bumped into a few fish.

This summer, so far, has (with very few exceptions) been been a bust for gear & fly guys alike. There don't seem to be many fish in the river. The cowlitz has been slim. They have only 9 fish up at Reiter so far.

This is obvious, but if there are no fish, you can't catch them. On the other hand, you can't really know if there are fish if you don't get out and swing a fly...

Cheers,

-tony

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.