SB report Fathers day June 19 - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-19-2005, 08:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to Cole
SB report Fathers day June 19

My father and I headed down to sb today on the rip ryder, despite the north winds; which my dad reminded me: "cole, its a north wind, you know what that means..". "Na, fishing is so good now, that wont even matter..." I was definately wrong here... About the 5th or 6th time in the last few years ive tried the flats on a honking north wind...

Anyways, saw three nice pods of big fish right at 830 or so, got good shots at them, but I think my fly was too big for the flats.. That was it for the day, had a long line release on the surfside (probably a schoolie). As the clouds moved in and out again, the wind just seemed to keep the fish off the flats. I'm too impatient for the dropoff fishing so that was it for me...:P I think im just writing this to convince myself not to touch the flats with heavy north winds, I dont seem to learn... maybe its just my bad luck omen?

Happy fathers day everyone!
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2005, 11:59 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Got a great fish up inside

Almost as bad as an East wind. There are times I like it but not when the water is still so cold.

I barely got an hour between Father's day brunch and driving my daughter home to prepare for her finals so I opted for an 'inside' drive up and fish location with a fast outgoing afternoon tide current with the wind blowing hard but from my left side.

The All-Arounder Atlantis with the new Outbound intermediate prototype I got from Simon G. was launching consistent and effortless 115-120ft casts even in that wind. I was beginning to think it would be just more casting practice when THUMP! Very heavy fish on the swing pulls it down hard, big slow headshakes and zoom - there goes backing! A great fish of ~35", admired and released really made my day. Another feisty smaller one that might have made the legal mark made me a few minutes late but I was forgiven. Kept me smiling as I crossed the bridge toward the week's obligations.

So far this has been the most deprived year for me in terms of fishing time, so it was a short but fine Father's Day outing that will help me get thru to the next time I can spend some time in this jewel of a fishery we have.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2005, 05:41 AM
Middle Aged Member

Not exactly a banner year in terms of fishing time for myself also. Get a day off and the north wind blows. Found fish early and caught a few during the sweet spot of the incoming but then it got pretty sterile. Quinton and I threw in the towel at 2:00.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:18 AM
Flats Rat

Yesterday was "one of those days" for me. What should have been three good fish (two 30+ stripers and a good blue sighted and pursuaded to eat) under difficult conditions became three barely pricked fish. I actually saw the first Striper take my fly four or five times and didn't get any resistance until we parted company. Needless to say, my home-made keel hook design is under severe scrutiny - if not totally abondoned in favor of a new strategy. I already have a new idea

It was nice to see a few fish pushing up onto the flats but that cold North Easter made it feel like late October.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:39 AM
Squire animal

I know this year the weather has been a bit screwy, but after reading this and other reports from prior posts - I'm still trying to figure out exactly when, in June, is best... Normally?

Last edited by Stevo; 06-20-2005 at 09:40 AM.
Old 06-20-2005, 10:03 AM

Send a message via AIM to Cole
It's good to hear you guys at least picked up a few yesterday; I think I was just due for a skunk...

Personally I'm a big fan of July-August. Tons of big, more selective fish up on the flats and of course, no need for waders...
Old 06-20-2005, 06:20 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to polareyez
If it makes you feel better....

Cole,

I've gone numerous times with a north wind, with about the same results as you. Sometimes we just don't learn from our mistakes...BUT there have been a few times with a north wind that I've done pretty good. Go figure. I guess the stripers didn't know it was a north wind.....
Garry
Old 06-20-2005, 09:39 PM
President of CAC

Yes there are exceptions... but for me when a north wind blows, I play golf.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:15 AM

Went to SB Monday and Tuesday for a slightly belated Father's Day excursion with my daughter Amy (Lady of the Flats) :-)
Sad to say the weather made those 2 days the toughest and poorest fishing of the year for me so far. Monday was a north wind with the usual results...20 fish sighted in 9 hrs..total of 4 stripers caught and 2 blues.....flats were bare :-(
Tuesday was the other great can't miss day according to the weathermen. So....we get a 25mph SW wind that created a chop on the flats and despite sun out in the open ocean and over Morris....SB was totally clouded over. Could only see fish 5 ft in front of us when we almost stepped on them.
If not for the great company Amy and I had....the 2 days would have been a disaster. Got to fish with Jim Simms before he departed back to Penn., Ken (the master flats guru)......a great chat with Keith and the Admiral in the lot....funny stories....Keith needs to write a book.....Amy got the honor of getting Cloie's seat on the ride back to the causeway as Cloie had special duties at home yesterday
We left the clouds and flats, catching the early bird special at 2 and shopped and ate our way through downtown Chatham, including a Buzzards Bay Ale at Squires.
Mid way through our 2 1/2 hr ride back home, Amy came up with an idea that may generate some interest ......as she has now met and got to know at least a dozen fellow FF's at SB.....she lamented that it was difficult from a distance to be able to identify who is who on the flats....her solution....."why not have everyone wear a specified different color hat (like lobster buoys) so we know who they are"?.......easy to say for someone wearing a pink Bo-Sox hat!!!
I'm in.....I'll use olive over tan if it is not already taken
Ron
Old 06-22-2005, 08:00 PM
6th Year Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
home, Amy came up with an idea that may generate some interest ......as she has now met and got to know at least a dozen fellow FF's at SB.....she lamented that it was difficult from a distance to be able to identify who is who on the flats....her solution....."why not have everyone wear a specified different color hat (like lobster buoys) so we know who they are ?
or take a pair of binoculars as i did- makes spotting compadres among the similarly clad hordes much easier

British Ingenuity - Best in the World .

Mark.

ps - loving that Buzzards Bay.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:59 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
Can CAMO be considered a color?!

Compliments of a prior life and well suited to a sandy landscape...
Perhaps I could be conspicuously inconspicuous!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CamoDaze.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	4827  
Old 06-22-2005, 10:20 PM

Next time, we will look through our scopes for the guy wearing a helmet, spotting fish from atop a tank....don't dissapoint us Pete!!!
Ron
PS: That should put those guys with the ladders to shame!
Old 06-23-2005, 07:59 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to polareyez
BUT, how will you know whose tank it is, unless they adopt a color code as well? I'll take some of the guess work out of it. If you see someone with a fly stuck in his back or a tangle of line falling out of his stripping basket, that's me. You'll have to come up with your own identifiers.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.