Fly Fishing Forum banner

A day on the salt pond....

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Dble Haul 
#1 ·
I hit a Rhode Island salt pond yesterday with the kayak in hopes of some sight fishing. Well, that part wasn't to be....overcast with bouts of patchy fog and drizzle that at one point near the end of the day turned into a downpour.

Nevertheless, I took the lemons and made lemonade. I paddled over to several sections that are not accessible without the kayak, so it was virgin water for me. Since I couldn't see fish, I worked obvious structure and current seams as the tide flooded. I was rewarded fairly quickly with a few schoolies, and then went to a boulder field and took a break for lunch.

As I sat on a rock and munched on a sandwich, the tide continued to flood and the whole area began to look very fishy. After another half hour of waiting I began to work the area and shortly hooked into what I thought was a large bluefish. It ran straight away from me across the boulder filled flat and tried to reach the channel on the other side. When I finally got the fish within view, it was a keeper striper. I rechecked my leader, removed the part that had been frayed on the boulders, and continued to fish. Another keeper striper was on in minutes. :smokin:

The funny part about all of this is that I don't have a lot of sight fishing experience, so if the sun had been out and I'd spotted these fish I may very well have blown the presentation. I'm very comfortable fishing structure, but had gone fishing yesterday with the hopes of getting some sight fishing practice. Not that I'm complaining too much. :wink:

The rest of the day had an occasional schoolie and a handful of shad near dusk. Overall I'm still very pleased with the kayak. Without it, I wouldn't have had any access to several of the fish that I caught, and it was great to wonder around the pond and learn a little bit more of it.

But the next time I go, I want sunshine. I need the practice to keep up with some of you other flats rats. :wink:

See less See more
#2 ·
Great report Mark! Ran out the door and headed over shortly after reading it. Only had one hour...2:30/3:30 pm to fish... sighted five but it was soooooo windy.
I needed one of those stepladders what with all the chop. Too close when spotted. Makes me wonder how many I didn't see. Got the blood pumping real well!!

Phil

#5 ·
Salt Pond Madness!

Took my son for a looky, see that dark shadow? It's moving! Swam right between us. Saw five more after 3pm with a mix of sun and clouds. Two shots in close but again too close for their comfort. I need better glasses! It's becoming addictive so close to home and the sun is looking good for a few days next week!
Uh oh!!!!!!! Second shift at work is looking very tempting again. Is there such a thing as Flyfisherman's Anonomous? I may need help!!!!!!!

Phil

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.