A day on the salt pond.... - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-17-2005, 09:26 AM
Fly chucker

A day on the salt pond....

I hit a Rhode Island salt pond yesterday with the kayak in hopes of some sight fishing. Well, that part wasn't to be....overcast with bouts of patchy fog and drizzle that at one point near the end of the day turned into a downpour.

Nevertheless, I took the lemons and made lemonade. I paddled over to several sections that are not accessible without the kayak, so it was virgin water for me. Since I couldn't see fish, I worked obvious structure and current seams as the tide flooded. I was rewarded fairly quickly with a few schoolies, and then went to a boulder field and took a break for lunch.

As I sat on a rock and munched on a sandwich, the tide continued to flood and the whole area began to look very fishy. After another half hour of waiting I began to work the area and shortly hooked into what I thought was a large bluefish. It ran straight away from me across the boulder filled flat and tried to reach the channel on the other side. When I finally got the fish within view, it was a keeper striper. I rechecked my leader, removed the part that had been frayed on the boulders, and continued to fish. Another keeper striper was on in minutes.

The funny part about all of this is that I don't have a lot of sight fishing experience, so if the sun had been out and I'd spotted these fish I may very well have blown the presentation. I'm very comfortable fishing structure, but had gone fishing yesterday with the hopes of getting some sight fishing practice. Not that I'm complaining too much.

The rest of the day had an occasional schoolie and a handful of shad near dusk. Overall I'm still very pleased with the kayak. Without it, I wouldn't have had any access to several of the fish that I caught, and it was great to wonder around the pond and learn a little bit more of it.

But the next time I go, I want sunshine. I need the practice to keep up with some of you other flats rats.
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2005, 04:02 PM
resigned

Great report Mark! Ran out the door and headed over shortly after reading it. Only had one hour...2:30/3:30 pm to fish... sighted five but it was soooooo windy.
I needed one of those stepladders what with all the chop. Too close when spotted. Makes me wonder how many I didn't see. Got the blood pumping real well!!

Phil
Old 06-17-2005, 04:27 PM
2 handed Fly Chucker

Thumbs up

Hi Mark,

Great report, sounds like a nice way to get started using the Kayak. Next time you head down to Rhody shoot me an E-mail, I might be able to join you in fishing with the Kayaks.

Greg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2005, 06:06 PM
President of CAC

Hey Mark!.. great report... your bunk is all made and ready at CAC when you come down.!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2005, 09:00 PM
resigned

Salt Pond Madness!

Took my son for a looky, see that dark shadow? It's moving! Swam right between us. Saw five more after 3pm with a mix of sun and clouds. Two shots in close but again too close for their comfort. I need better glasses! It's becoming addictive so close to home and the sun is looking good for a few days next week!
Uh oh!!!!!!! Second shift at work is looking very tempting again. Is there such a thing as Flyfisherman's Anonomous? I may need help!!!!!!!

Phil
Old 06-19-2005, 05:44 PM
Fly chucker

Phil- Glad you spotted some fish. They are definitely in there now.

John- Thanks for the warm words. I look forward to fishing with you this year.

Greg- Ditto.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.