Fly Fishing Forum banner

First flyfishing rod

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Steve_sullivan 
#1 ·
I've fly casted in the past using friends' rods, but am interested in purchasing my own. My main question is what weight rod/line to purchase. I would mainly be surf fishing off the jersey shore. (I'm thinking that in the future, I might fish in large lakes, but for now it's just the ocean). Most of the people I ask seem to recommend a 9 weight rod with 9wt line. Is this a wise choice, or should I go with an 8?

My other ques is regarding the LL Bean StreamLite rods...I have a gift cert. for LL BEan, and was wondering if this series worth it's price - it retails there for about $220 for an outfit (including rod, reel, line, backing, and case).

Thanks a million for your advice!

Joe

#2 ·
I recommend you check out the TFO (temple forks outfitters) series of rods. They offer a great product backed by great customer service and one of the best warranties in the business. They offer a wide range of rods including a two handed rod that might be just the ticket for your surf fishing - The TFO TiCr X 12' 12 wt. Head over to the speyclave and do a search about two handers in the salt and surf and you'll find lots of information. Worth checking out for sure. If you're set on a single hander again, I recommend the TFO TiCr X series.

As for your gift certificate, I'd use it for the accessories you'll need.

Take care,
Chris

#3 ·
You might want to call Bean. I'd be concerned about a "kit" reel being able to handle dunks in the SW, drops in the sand, etc.

9ft 9wt is a good choice. If you'll be primarly in the surf, an 8 is going to be too light. A 10 would be better.

One thing that can make a world of difference is a quality fly line. You could fish a lot of conditions with a 9wt clear intermediate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.