looking for atlantic salmon fly recipes - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Salmon & Steelhead Flies Spey flies to mixed wings, new innovations

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2005, 05:44 PM

looking for atlantic salmon fly recipes

i'm going to labrador in three weeks for a week of atlantic salmon fishing. only been atlantic salmon fishing once and i want to tie this time. if any of you either have any of the following fly recipes or can direct me to a good web site i would be most appreciative.....blue charm, thunder and lightning, black bear red butt, black bear green butt, undertaker, or any others which you can recommend. picture would be great. thanks,NM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2005, 09:04 PM
Spey'd and lovin it!!!

NM.
Tie em sparse. Try a bright floro green butt on your blue charms and about 8 strands of moose hair in your wings.
If you want to know a good all purpose salmon fly for Newfie?? Try a black tail, black body with silver rib and a black bear wing.
Also a sparsely tied royal coachman streamer fly. Small butterflies, carters bug as well as green machine's and shady lady.
While we are at it,,, which rivers are you heading to??? That will help alot with pattern selection. You can email me with this info and i will be happy to provide you with all the info that i have. My resources are the full mag collection of Spawner, Len Rich's "Salmon flies of Newfoundland" as well as a few other salmon pattern books that can help you out. You can reach me at flyfish@pei.sympatico.ca and i will help any way that i can.
Dwayne Miller
Fly Fish The Island
www3.pei.sympatico.ca/flyfish
Letters to a Salmon Fisher's Sons
Old 06-04-2005, 05:05 AM

dwayne, thanks for your help dwayne. i tried to email but for some reason it would not connect. i'll be fishing the hawke river in labrador. again, thanks. neal
Old 06-05-2005, 01:06 AM
just one more cast...

Favorite flies,,,

Neal, Dwayne is right on the money- sparse is the word for NF and Labrador. I've been fishing NF and Labrador for about 8 years now, and have narrowed down the 'bread & butter' flies to just a few. This year a friend of mine is also headed to the Hawke in early July for his first trip to Labrador, so I recently did some research on fly selection for his trip, and tied up a few for him ( he also bought a bunch for himself and his buddy from Daryl Burry, my friend and NF guide). From all reports, flies that we use on the Pinware seem to be equally effective on the Hawke. Wet flies seem to work best using moose wings, as most of the time we fish them 'hitched', and the buoyancy of the moose makes them swim very nicely. Again, 'Sparse' is the word, for much the same reason. Plus, the fish there seem to feel 'less is more', or so it seems.

If I could only take one fly up there, it would be the Blue Charm, hands down. Sizes 6 and 8 primarily, but it doesn't hurt to have a few 10's and 4's as well (even #12, if things get grim with low water). Really this goes for all the wets, #4 to #12, heavy on the #6 and #8's.

Next wet on my list would be the Thunder 'n Lightning, right up there with the BC, many (including my buddy Daryl who fishes over 100 days a year) prefer it over all others. He usually ties them as I did in the photo, pretty simple, long gold oval tag, herl butt, floss or wool ribbed body, blue over orange throat (hen), moose wing.

My first change-up from the black-bodied flies is Myron's Glitter Bug. I also go to a Fl. Green Cosseboom sometimes, but have found the G-bug to be a terrific fly, odd-looking as it is. Fl. red floss butt, yellow hackle tips and Krystal Flash splayed tail, Danville Fl. Green wool yarn 'abdomen', green Crystal Chenille 'thorax', palmered RI red hackle (long), red head. Myron Becker developed this fly over the years for NF West Coast, and it's been a proven winner. The past few years, Daryl has used it extensively in Labrador, and found it equally effective there, as have I.

There are times when only a fly with white will do the trick. We've found the Priest to work very well, either tied as a streamer, or short. Polar bear makes the best wing, IMHO. As Dwayne mentioned, a Butterfly is also a good fly for these occasions.

Sometimes silver bodied flies are deadly, usually on bright days. My favorites are the Silver Blue and the Silver Downeaster. (I rarely get this far down in the flybox)

Dry flies: the 'Orange Bug' is (right up with the Blue Charm) is probably the most popular fly among the locals, and it is definitely deadly. It is really a true Bomber, with calftail horn and tail, natural deer body, and stiff orange cock hackle (1 or 2, I usually tie with 1 hackle). Rarely do I use another dry fly, although in low light, the dark green versions can work very well. Bomber sizes 2 down to 6. Good hooks are a problem, look for wide gape, deep throat, and light wire. We're still using a stash of long discontinued Sealey and Partridge light wire down-eyed hooks, and I haven't looked around lately. Other popular dries are the White Wulff, McIntosh, Wulff Spider, large Stimulators.

Hooks in general: Since barbless is mandatory in NF and Lab, hooks of good design really help in your landing ability, once you've hooked a screamer,,,,, Deep throat I think is key (distance from bend to barb)-- some otherwise nice-looking hooks are worthless in this quality, such as Partridge Bartleets. I generally stick with Daiichi #2131 or Gamakatsu T10-3H for wet flies.

I'm sure others will give you good advice, but this is my .02, for what it's worth! Shoot me a PM if I can help further,,,,,

Good luck on the Hawke!

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BL_CH.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	4784   Click image for larger version

Name:	T_L.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	4785   Click image for larger version

Name:	MGB_N.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	4786   Click image for larger version

Name:	PRIEST_01.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	4787   Click image for larger version

Name:	SILV_D.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	4788  

Old 06-05-2005, 01:20 AM
just one more cast...

Labrador flies,,, more pics

a few more photos,,,
John
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SILV_BL.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	4789   Click image for larger version

Name:	PRIEST_02.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	4790   Click image for larger version

Name:	GR_BMBR.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	4791   Click image for larger version

Name:	BOMBER3.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	4792  
Old 06-06-2005, 06:54 PM
Spey'd and lovin it!!!

Hey neal.
Very sorry i didnt get back to you as I have been away for a few days and only just caught up with this thread. Cant imagine what happened your email to me as i have been receiving a steady stream all weekend.
Well, there is not much more I can add as John has given you everything you need to hear. As John and I have both stated, tie them sparse and on the best hooks you can. If the Hawke salmon are anything like a pinware fish, you are going to need all the holding power you can muster from your irons.
Good luck on your trip and be sure to give us a report when you get back.
Again, sorry for not getting back to you sooner.
Best regards
Dwayne Miller
aka Salmon Chaser
><)))*>
Letters to a Salmon Fisher's Sons
Old 06-06-2005, 07:49 PM

thank you both. you have been a great help. that said, and while i'm at it, any recommendations on gear(rods). i have a gammit of 7,8, and 9 wt rods in various lengths and speads. any recommendations? how about lines? i'm told floating is the way.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:47 PM
just one more cast...

Gear,,,

Neal,

I'd suggest a 9 or 9.5 ft 8 wt. rod for the Hawke. A 7 wt. would be fun with the grilse, but if when you hook that 16-20# screamer, you'll really have your hands full,,,. I like a medium or med-fast rod for salmon, my favorite one-hander is still an old Sage 908SP.

Certainly a full floating line, whatever type you like to cast. Most casts on the Hawke will be from 30-60 ft, I imagine. I like Wulff TT lines for this type of fishing, for nice mendablity, and the occasional spey cast, if needed.

Shoot me an email or PM with your address, and I'll send you a cupla "secret" flies

Cheers,
John
email: jnp@nospamvalley.net [remove the 'nospam']
Old 06-18-2005, 03:47 PM

Neal,

You should take up macspeys offering to send flies if you haven't already. John's a great guy with a lot of Newfoundland/Labrador knowledge. John and I have been exchanging a few flies over the last couple of years. In fact, he just sent me a few beautiful flies for this years upcoming trip to Newfoundland, which was very generous of him and much appreciated . Thanks again John!

Another fly to consider having is a Picket Pin. It is traditionaly a trout fly, but I tie it for salmon, and it's been very good to me over the last couple of years. It also hitches great. I included a picture of a few. Sorry about the picture not being the greatest. If you'd like me to send one or two to you, email me your address to info@tightlinesflyfishing.com

Recipe:
Hook - Daiichi 2421 or Gamakatsu T10-3H sizes 4-12 Gama for larger ones, Daiichi for smaller ones.
Body - Peacock herl dyed black (Hareline puts it out) You can sub with standard peacock herl or black uni-yarn, wool, etc.
Body hackle - Black cock neck hackle tied in by the tip, folded backwards, and palmered through body.
Tail - Moose
Wing - Squirrel (natural, russian, etc) or moose
Head - Same as body

Good luck on the Hawke!

Tight Lines
Andrew Moy
(973) 244-5990
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ppin.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	4818  
Old 06-18-2005, 08:36 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to baldmountain
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeySteel
Another fly to consider having is a Picket Pin. It is traditionaly a trout fly, but I tie it for salmon, and it's been very good to me over the last couple of years.
A Picket Pin is also a great warmwater fly. I've caught yellow perch, white perch, bass and panfish on them.

http://www.nfaa-archery.org <-----<< My other passion.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.