Rooster fish in Costa Rica - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-01-2005, 07:49 PM

Rooster fish in Costa Rica

Hi, I would like to know the world record for women fly fishing for rooster fish. I fish inshore at Playa Herradura and Playa Jaco for rooster fish every year and now that there is a legal scale at the New Marina at Los Suenos, maybe I can see if I can do this.
Louise

'Generosity'...I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with catcher's mitts on both hands. You need to be able to throw something back!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2005, 07:40 AM
Flats Rat

Hi Louise

Welcome to the forum

Official world records are administered by IGFA. I'm not a member but quite a few folks here are so I'm sure someone can come up with the info you're looking for.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:13 AM
In moderation

Hi Louise
According to my 2005 IGFA record book, satwater fly rod ladies roosterfish records:
2, 4, 6 & 8 lb tippet classes are all vacant.
12lb - 1lb 8oz
16lb - 11lb 8oz
20lb - 18lb 13oz

Good luck.
Let us know how you get on.

Pete
Old 06-02-2005, 09:50 AM

Louise, is this done on a boat? or are you wading? I have never gone Rooster fishing, and I think they are one of the most beautiful looking fish. I might be interested in fishing for a rooster for the first time this winter.
Old 06-03-2005, 10:37 AM

Thanks for the welcome,,,
I am in a boat for the roosters. Thanks Petevicar for the info. I have caught several in that class range. Now that Los Suenos at Playa Herradura has the official scale, my good fortune may change. It does happen that way!
We have a small house just up the road from the beach there. Had the house built before the big housing happened there, along with the Marriott and the huge marina.
We also go to Quepos and fish sails on the fly. And, tarpon on the Cano Negro interior, where the resident fish are 75 kg. plus. And, to the east coast for bonefish ranging 18 - 22+ ( "bonyfish" as the locals call them).
Beach fishing is fun there too. You never know what you are going to land....
Louise In Calgary.

'Generosity'...I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with catcher's mitts on both hands. You need to be able to throw something back!
Old 06-03-2005, 09:50 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Louise -

A very special welcome!

I am also one of those obsessed with catching roosterfish on the fly, and am considering organizing a "rooster clave". It seems your knowledge and experience would help us figure out where to go, when, etc.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 06-04-2005, 06:23 AM

Explain more about your rooster hunt

Can u explain more about your rooster hunt.... Organizing trips ? Where are you from, by the way.... Just curious
Louise In Calgary... and part-time in C.R.

Old 06-04-2005, 07:46 AM

I've always though that stalking some remote beach down in Baja with my fly rod, and hanging into a roosterfish, would be a wonderful experience. I hope to get down there and do just that one of these days.

These are cool looking fish and I'm sure even a small one is a handful on a fly rod.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:34 AM

Louise,

How would you describe the local area? Safe? Good beaches? Good food? Fishing any good come winter time? You must like the area to have a home there. Any little tid bits of info would be great and very appreciated. I have never been to Costa Rica and am looking in taking a vacation there from winter. (I live in Wisconsin so I know how you feel about getting away during the cold months) Because of hotel points would be staying @ the Marriott you talked about. I of course would be trying to catch a rooster, and other fish that fights hard and makes ones drag scream. Have a great day.
Old 06-08-2005, 01:21 PM

C.R.

There are several areas in Costa Rica for roosters. One very good one is in Drake Bay. The roosters cruise in front of the rocks, where you can walk to . They are fussy at times. There are mangroves out there too, for snook.
Costa Rica is a democratic country. I have travelled at night from the airport in the quiet and dark night and feel no fear. I am cautious person by nature. I find the people very friendly and helpful. It does help to speak some Spanish.. The beaches are good in some areas and not so nice in others. There are black volcanic, burn the feet type of sand, and in other places white or and sandy coloured. The beach at the Marriott is always being cleaned, due to the small bay which brings in lots of ocean stones, rocks at tide times. What I don't care for, is that I used to beach fish where the marina is now, and since they built, they won't let anyone fish around the marina. I believe the ocean belongs to no one. On a good day, that I feel strongly about it, I will go fish and see what they will say to me. I am a little fighter when I am ready. Stay tuned for that this winter.
Fishing is excellent when we go. That would be anywhere from last week of Dec. , up to an including the end of March. That's for all types of ocean and river fish.
If the ocean is too warm, yellowfin tuna may not frequent the 20 miles out area, where everyone goes for sails, marlin, wahoo etc.
When I say 20 miles, that would be out and south of us from the house. Quepos goes 20 out and depends at what time of year it is, on where they are at the point. In March, we have gone north some, to where they are at that point .

Old 06-09-2005, 11:14 AM

Louise Thanks you very much for the quick reply, and excellent info. I agree w/ your thinking the oceans should be free for all to use. I would probably look into getting a guide one day then fishing from shore the remainder of the time. Besides roosters what could I expect to catch from shore? I am sure there are Jacks there.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:06 PM

Yes, u have Jacks, and who knows what at times. I once caught this "thing" at the beach and had to look that one up. It was called a blue bobo. It had a blue shiny bulbous nose and long whiskers. I didn't touch the little bugger. I also caught a snook at our beach too. At the time, I was alone and just beached it and looked at it and released it by shaking the hook. I heard later that they have razor shape gill plates.

Old 06-09-2005, 07:05 PM

Louise,

What a great place to call home!!

I lived in Corcovado National Park for a few months in College and was able to fish a bit around that area. I remember big sharks in the river mouths, large snapper and snook in the rivers when the tides would rise, and lots of jacks along the beaches. When the waves would curl I remember seeing big schools of them swimming by.

I wen to Cahuita N.P. about three times for bonefish. Only once did I have any luck. It was an overcast, calm day- I can't remember what the tide was doing- but there were groups of 2 to 4 bonefish here and there feeding. They were so preoccupied with feeding that day that I could wlk right up to them in ankle deep water.

I'd love to go back someday. If you have any more stories I'd love to hear them- especially about Cano Negro. That's one place I regret not visiting.

As for the culture, colorful, generous amazing people. But careful witht he petty theft. About 25% of the people in my program were victims of some sort of theft.

Pura Vida, Keski
Old 06-09-2005, 08:39 PM

C.R., tapirs, caymen and turtles

You're right about the petty theft. But, guess what! I have Tico friends now, and they get robbed too. All I know after knowing what happens then, is that they are not violent at all when they do so. They never rob when you are home. They run as soon as any person goes by. It is part of being in a third world country. I am with security window, and good locks. I have a Costa Rican lady and her husband that I've known for six years now, that come over and check the house. At this moment, it is being rented till fall, and they collect the rent and pay the bills needed. They have night security as I do. But, I have gone home alone many times by taxi at night and the taxi drivers are much the gentlemen and flashlight for me and it's custom. I think it is not good at all in San Jose and Puerto Limon. That' real bad. It would be like Detroit downtown at night. Or for that matter, only one block off the beaten path in a city would land some trouble.
When it comes to Corcovado, we took a boat taxi over from Drake Bay to see the tapir. Once the group got there, I didn't feel like hiking anymore and one of the boat guys took me down the way at a river mouth. Then, he disappeared for a while, actually I never saw him again. While I was fishing waist high in there, and using a popper, a croc. swam across from me about 30 feet away. Well, I was spooked but kept my cool and backed out ever so slow. Never got a fish, only my life. As I walked the beach back, I saw a big tapir, who came out on the beach and did a pi, saw me, and went back in the forest. When I got back to the others, they never saw any tapir, only the paw print that one left, and they did the old photo with a hand next to the print, to show the size. Funny funny!
Cano Negro is so full of caymen, that I saw dogs that would comb the banks and kept looking back and forth before having guts to swim across.
Other than an hour and ten minutes or so fight with a 75kg.tarpon, I caught a little turtle by the butt with a deceiver.

Old 06-10-2005, 08:48 AM

Wow what story. My heart rate jumped up just thinking of seeing a croc in the wild. What is a tapir? I am thinking some sort of leopard? Louise your one tough lady . I'll be sure to not tell my wife any croc stories. But I also think we would be staying mainly @ the marriott, dethawing in the sun. I don't see us venturing out into the jungle or traveling by ourselves. I would do a guided tour in the jungle though, that would be really cool. While my wife sleeps in or is relaxing reading a book in the sun I would be trying to catch a rooster or any other fish to put a good bend in the rod, along the shore. Our there guides that are strictly for fly fisherman in shore for snook, poons, roosters? I see a lot of deep sea charters for sailfish, as the sailfishing sounds amazing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.