Local pond report 5/30 - Fly Fishing Forum
Warmwater flyfishing Bass, pike and even muskies in your backyard

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2005, 08:53 AM
Flats Rat

Local pond report 5/30

I decided to take a break from schoolie stripers and have some fun on my local pond. A couple of year back some kids got in and screwed up the sluice so they had to drain it and make repairs. I was wondering how the fish has fared - it seems they are pretty resilient!

Apart from the area around the outlet which is about 5ft deep, the average depth is probably 2ft.

It had been a nice warm day and I was in the mood for some surface action so I tied on a suspender damsel nymph. On my first cast into the heavy shoreline cover I got hit:

It seemed to be a hit a cast with all manner of sunfish variants, most of which I couldn't identify. A little later I noticed a lot of disturbance back in the brush, obviously a fish working hard. By using a combination of casting techniques that would have Lefty Kreh choking on his tea I was able to drop the fly into the slot and up came this fella:

...continued
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2005, 08:54 AM
Flats Rat

local report cont'd

This is a great area to hone the kayak fishing techniques since you really have to "thread the needle" and deal with twigs and branches catching in bits of the kayak - not to mention your hat. It requires a series of forward/backward and sideways strokes. Sometimes reversing out is not as straightforward as getting in.

There were lots of "clouds" of tiny immature fish drifting around amongst the twigs -presumably recently hatched. As the sun dropped behind the trees the fishing just got better and one spot was loaded with these little buggers:

I read somewhere that crappie wont hit surface flies. These fish obviously hadn't read that chapter of the rules
Old 06-01-2005, 09:37 AM
Fly chucker

Adrian, that's yet another reason that I got the kayak. My Hobie Cat can be a bear to paddle any distance, and that local quarry pond near me is going to be a great place to fish and practice wet exits and re-entries. At several spots the depths approach seventy feet.

Great photos...thanks for sharing. Looks like my kind of water.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:22 AM
Whip some bass

I hit a local quarry (my honey hole) yesterday and did VERY well on bass, I caught probably 25 in the time I was there. I didn't use the fly rod due to the wind (I don't have the skill) but it was still a blast catching them on top and on plastic worms. As soon as I can get the canoe out there the fly fishing will be an option and I can't wait. These fish never see lures or flies so they aren't as wary as normal fish, making the catching and releasing more fun. A few huge pike materialized in the quarry too so I've been after them, I'll have to break out the dahlberg divers as soon as I can get out there again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2005, 11:35 PM

Yeah!

Adrian, Nice Pics! Looks like you had a blast.
DH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.