New Zealand Report - Fly Fishing Forum
The Quintessential Trout Trout angling is the core of flyfishing worldwide.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2005, 07:19 AM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick
Post New Zealand Report

Well, weíve been to New Zealand and back. Sorry itís taken so long for a report. Man what an amazing country! Iíve never put any time in trout fishing before this, but Iím pretty hooked now. I know there was some good controversy regarding guides and NZ etc, so I figure Iíd let you know up front. We ended up doing the South Island without help (and without luck, due to my inexperience), but the North Island (Tongariro River) we got a guide for two days. Man was it worth it. There was lots discussion about costs etc, but for the money, I think it was well worth it. $500 NZ per day for the guide, which is about $350 US. He worked for it though, thatís for sure. Casting lessons for my wife, fishing lessons for me. Morning coffee and biscuits streamside, noontime barbeque with a fresh caught trout and some fine NZ wine. Afternoon beers and snacks. The day started at 8:30AM and finished around 5:00PM each day. If anyone is interested, I highly recommend the guideÖPM for details. Final tally was 3 rainbows (steelhead) landed for me plus one more hooked on a nymph and brought to my feet before my striper fighting techniques failed me with the size 16 hook. Susan caught and landed one as well. We hooked numerous others, but once again, my striper horsing was not working so well in the streams. All fish were 3-5 lbs. All in all, two amazing days of fishing. New Zealand was completely amazing and overwhelmed you with amazing scenery constantly!! I highly recommend visiting these islands at least once in your life.

Some pics:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2005, 08:06 AM
Fly chucker

That is some beautiful looking water, and healthy looking fish.

Some day.....
Old 06-01-2005, 09:05 AM
Flats Rat

Great stuff Nick - thanks for sharing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.