Skittish Bones - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2005, 02:50 AM
Some Dude

Skittish Bones

Living here in Hawaii, it's a catch-n-kill environment. Most everything hooked is followed-up with "that's a good tasting fish". I do have access to some nice skinny water, however the bones that cruise it are big and very timid from being over-fished. I'm very much into sight fishing, but the island is rather limited to shallow water in protected areas from the Trade/Kona winds.
I use a balanced #8-outfit with Sci-Angler line that I keep greased. An assortment of flies from #4 to #8 keep my box full, with the #8s broken down even further to brass, bead-chain, and even mono eyes. Almost all have a little pink in them as I've found that that's what has worked. Leaders are at least 12 feet with the last 4-5 feet being #10 fluoro.
I don't know if it's the line slap from the final cast laying on the water, or the sound of the fly entering the water, but the bones are off in a hurry once the final cast is made. I'll keep working on my presentation.
I have also broke out my #6 saltwater rod and lined up my smaller reel accordingly. I'm in no hurry to snap this rod (SP 696), but think this is the next step to trying to get one of these bigger guys to take the fly.
What has been others' experience with lighter rods for big bones?

Sorry I haven't posted in a while. Just returned from 6 months in the Horn of Africa.

Take care all,
Mitch
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2005, 04:47 AM
In moderation

Hi Mitch
I have caught a few "big bones" (over 12lbs) in the Florida Keys which is probably the most overfished place in the world.
I have always found that you must cast well away from the fish so that it doesn't spook and the fly musn't spook the fish either. You must cast sometimes 5 metres in front of it and wait for it to come.
In the Keys the flats mostly have turtle grass and flash flies tend to spook the fish. I have had most success with flies like tasty toads and merkins. Also the fly must never move towards the fish always away and if using crab patterns like merkins then very little movement is necesary, just enough that the fish sees the fly.

Pete
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.