Adult Manhaden are back in upper Narr.Bay - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-31-2005, 07:46 PM

Adult Manhaden are back in upper Narr.Bay

Yes, after nearly ten year of absences, adult manhaden have appeared in the upper Narragansett Bay in numbers. There were a dozen large pods of pogies the past few days north of Providence Point. Snaggers have yielded a few bass near the 20 lbs mark live lining. We had an eleven on a fly today (Tues). That's not bad considering all the live bait around. Fishing was slow today with the north wind and cold front. Same forecast for tomorrow.

A friend of mine caught and released a 40, and 30 lbs. bass on sluggo's. You would think these conditions in the bay would improve fishing for future generations of fish.

Guess what? Today an out of State pogy boat with tender in tow and spotter plane cast their nets for a brighter economy.

Last edited by RayStachelek; 05-31-2005 at 07:47 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2005, 11:17 PM
CantAnchorUs

Sean and I found tons of them at Ohio Ledge on Sun. but there didn`t seem to be any fish under them, the snaggers were filling thier ice chest. Ray I thought the pogie boats were banned from the bay?
Slinger
Old 06-01-2005, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slinger
I thought the pogie boats were banned from the bay?
Slinger
I believe they are banned only from Greenwich Bay. The spotter plane just watches and waits for the school to move out into Narr Bay, where the netters scoop them up.
Old 06-01-2005, 05:02 PM

Wed. June 1

Just when you think progress is being made to protect and prolong our natural environnment, you see this happen. Never in my life have I seen such high tech equipment used in harvesting Manhedan. You can see this has big money written all over it. Some serious dollars have been invested for a future venture. This problem isn't going to go away.

Remember the days when you use to see broken down, rusted up motherships with a few old wooden tenders. Not no more! Check out all the hydraulic and winches on the tender. They have a top end faster than my boat. Within 15 minutes they had the net processed. How efficient is that? For what? Believe me, the got about 30 lbs. of bait.

We manage to put most of the baitfish down. Most of them escaped threw the bottom before they could close the door. It wasn't by accident either. Believe it, we were fishing the school first then all of a sudden we see this boat bearing down on us. They have surround us by the time we knew what was going on. I first thought that we violated some homeland security.

The boat was from out of state. The tender had MS prefix. Is that the same as Mass or could that be Maryland?

Somewhere fisherman/seiners had some sort of gentleman's agreement. Certain areas were supposed to close off at certain times. I think this was non-binding at the time. Does anyone have information in respect to seining in Narragansett Bay.

We can't afford to look the other way on this matter, after seeing these pictures.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:17 PM

Way to go Ray! Be careful out there man, that pic of the bow of the ship is quite intimidating
Old 06-01-2005, 07:24 PM
Pencil me in.....

MS designates Mississippi for postal matters...but if on a boat as a registration it is good ol Massachusetts..Quite a few years ago there were some Pogie boats docked in Fall River, not sure about today.

Last edited by jfbasser; 06-01-2005 at 07:31 PM.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:25 AM
Fly chucker

Those pictures and the behavior described by Captain Ray nauseate me.
Old 06-03-2005, 06:28 AM

Some information

Over the years I have done much research In different conservation areas, one area being about Menhaden. I have done some quick looking around, but it seems that the more I work and try as an individual I get know wheres. If you are not personally affected by the problem who cares. Everyone can say it is wrong, but who has done anything? Same as the herring run in the Ten Mile River very few were willing to try and do anything, I did and did have some answers. The Menhaden situation is similar. I can't find some of my correspondence to the Menhaden in Narragansett Bay. There was a law past quite a few years ago as to how far up the bay the Pogy boats can come. I believe the following is the upper limit, from Rocky Point to Poppasquash Point to Hog Island to Hog Island Light.
I don't believe it is RI fault, I think the problem is with the ASMFC The Atlantic States Marine Fishery Comission. They control the marine waters inside the 3 mile limit. The Menhaden is one of the fish they control.
Old 06-03-2005, 08:30 AM

Truely a sad situation. Does anyone know the market for the pogies? I'm thinking fish pellets for the aqua culture industry and a few being sent to Europe to be salted.
Those are high tech boats for pogie fishing, they must be from a big industry fleet.

It is amazing how fast they show up out of nowhere. Back in the 60's, I was fishing the Fall school up in outer Boston Harbor with my uncle when the Pogie fleet showed up and surrounded us. My uncle who was also a commercial fisherman most of his life took matters into his own hands and went down into the cabin of his Cutty and came out with a shot gun. He pointed right at the head guy on the lead boat who had come out to yell at us for being in their way. Boy did that guy freeze in mid sentance of some Portugees cuss words. After what seemed like hours the guy broke into a laugh, gave us a salute, went back into the wheel house and the fleet let us continue to fish the big bass that were under the pogies. I was 13 or 14 at the time and I thought I was going to die that evening. In this day and age I don't recomend my uncles actions to any of you, yet.
Old 06-03-2005, 05:10 PM

OC pogies are used for fertilizer,cat food ,fish food and cosmetics and most likely a load of things I can't think of.
Old 06-03-2005, 10:33 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Ray -

Is this legal? I am sure I am not making any friends by saying this, but if it's legal then maybe we ought to spend less energy seeking gamefish status and more protecting critical forage species.

Thanks for raising the alarm Capt.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 06-05-2005, 07:45 AM

Great Point Juro....

Sometimes we treat the effect and not the cause when we solve problems. I think this is the case with fish stock and bait supplies. The problem is complex and mult-facted. We all should govern or have a right to share and mangage bio mass. It shouldn't be left in the hands that deplete the supply.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.