Swap flies - Fly Fishing Forum
Warmwater flyfishing Bass, pike and even muskies in your backyard

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-31-2005, 02:36 PM
Fly chucker

Swap flies

So, how are all the swap flies we tied this winter fishing?
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2005, 06:23 PM
_

I've tried most of them for at least a few casts but haven't really given them a complete workout. The results so far: a few rock bass on a couple of the crayfish flies, no largemouths or smallmouths. No success with the pike flies yet but I've only been pike fishing a couple times very early in the season. Several carp on berry flies and brown woolly buggers and one hit on John's bead head woolly bugger (right before I lost it ). No carp on any of the other carp flies yet, but I did catch a few rock bass, blue gills and crappies on natrix's sparrow variant .

It looks as though I'll be able to conduct some extensive testing over the next few weeks. Additional results will be posted as they become available .

Q
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2005, 08:14 AM
Flats Rat

I haven't given the carp flies work-out yet but they are in my local pond in good numbers so maybe this will be the year.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:53 PM
_

Update: CDG's bass bug scores!

Went out tonight and caught a few nice largemouths on the perch colored diver I got from CDG in the crayfish swap

http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flyta...ad.php?t=19871

Q
Old 06-28-2005, 04:34 PM

Wooly Bully Performs above all others!

We have nothing but rain!, Deluges & floods....
But, I did manage to get a few days of pike fishing in last week and with the water levels up by as much as 2-3 feet in the reservoirs, it is like fishing a new area, natural lakes (like Gull) are up by as much as 6-8 inches. Amazing that the amount of water has caused such a change in the lakes.
So I got to try out the new flies with the Wooly Bully (bright Pink) catching more fish than any other fly from the swap. Best fish so far is a 38 incher on the pink beast! Other notable one is the perch looking fly, (bucktail and saddle hackle with a pretied wire leader), I only have one of the two left, the first one has been destroyed by multiple piker attacks!
Not much luck yet with the yellow rabbit strip but they will work better in the fall for deeper presentations.
Old 06-29-2005, 07:49 AM
Fly chucker

Great to hear, Pete! The Wooly Bully in either pink or chartruese was head and shoulders above any other flies we used on Lake Ontario a few months back. I plan to try them in the salt this year too.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:31 PM
_

Got a rock bass and bluegill on one of Mark's carp flies tonight. There were carp in the area but it was too dark for sight fishing so I just blind-casted for a while and got the panfish. I haven't really targeted carp for a few weeks because they were spawning and are very tough to catch when they're chasing each other around. Maybe there will be a good carpin' day this weekend .

Q

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.