Bone flies - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-29-2005, 02:08 PM
flyfishing guru

Bone flies

If you had to have 3 flies to fish for bonefish, what would they be. Lets also see some pics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2005, 05:49 PM

Gotcha and a light tailing fly, which for me is bit of chenille arounf a hook, one grizzly feather, a bit of craft fur and 2 strands of Crystal flash. (bite those 2 off n bright still days).
Third fly? Not sure. Maybe a small skinny shrimp fly.
Old 05-30-2005, 08:52 AM

Dorseys Kwan.....Mini Puff.....Bonefish Special........
Old 05-30-2005, 09:38 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I second what Josko said... most of the fish I have caught have been on gotchas in a wide range of situations but I tried some moderately large shrimp flies from Drew at tightlines flyfishing that had some real 'animal magnetism' for cruising bones. The third essential fly was a weightless tailing pattern that Adrian got from the Peace and Plenty that was deadly in skinny water for spooky tailers.

Subtle tan gotchas with a little pearl emphasis on the hook shaft, maybe a dull pink head; furry pink shrimp not too bright with melted eyes and prominent tentacles / claws; and anything that looks tasty that splashes down lightly but can get into eyeshot of the tailing fish in time for a strip or two to prove it's food.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 05-30-2005, 11:00 AM
flyfishing guru

That peace and plenty sounds nice. Im gonna be at islas mujeres and from what ive heard those fish are spooky.
Old 05-30-2005, 11:15 AM
In moderation

Hi TJ
I think your question is perhaps a little dificult to answer without specifying the location.
On grassy flats like in the Keys I would use tasty toads (Kwans), merkins and Chernobil crabs.
On Sandy flats like most of the Bahamas, Ascesion Bay, Cuba I would use Gotchas, Crazy Charlies and Shallow H2Os.
There are some locations which have both and if you only have 3 flies I would use Gotchas, Kwans and merkins some heavy and some lightweight.
Where are you going?

Pete
Old 05-30-2005, 11:29 AM
flyfishing guru

Well im 16 and my friend and his family asked if I wanted to go with them to Isla Mujeres. Im going in 3 weeks. Its right off the coast of Cancun. Ill can only bring my 8wt. Can you catch small cudas with an 8wt? Im expecting to see some bones, jacks, and cudas, but im not sure.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:06 AM

My experience which is limited, I would say gotcha of some sorts, clouser, and crab pattern.
Old 05-31-2005, 01:10 PM
In moderation

Hi T.J.
I have not fished Isla Mujeres but have been to Ascenscion Bay a few times and I have also fished north of Cancun at a place called Isla Blanca.
To catch bonefish around there use smallish Gotchas size 6. The are always permit around, use a merkin.
If you get a chance to fish around magroves there will probably be snook and baby tarpon around. Use some sort of baitfish imitation size 1/0 or my favourite a red/white seaducer.
You will probably be OK with an 8wt.
There will probably be lots of different types of fish around if you find places without people.
When are you going?

Pete
Old 05-31-2005, 01:30 PM
Flats Rat

I second the merkin advice also. When I fished Ascention bay I did very well with small merkin style crabs on bonefish and it was nice to know I was ready for a shot at a permit when they came by. Add Gotcha in smaller sizes as Pete recommends and the weightless fly - its called a Pflueger Hoy - a search through the archives should find it.

You can also find a complete series of bonefish patterns with pics that John Morin posted a year or two ago.

You can catch anything with your 8wt - landing it might be interesting Seriously, unless it's very windy you should be fine. Just make sure you have plenty of backing on your reel (min 200yds).

For Barracuda my favorite fly is a simple surf-candy style pattern - skinny, 6 to 8 inches long on a 2/0 hook, with ultra hair. It's about the only material that I've found stands up to more than a single hit from a 'cuda. They have incredibly bony mouths that seem to be 99% teeth. Most conventional materials get ripped to shreds even on a hit without a hook-up. If you target them use a short wire bite tippet and make sure you can safely land and unhook them - keep your fingers (and any other body parts) well clear - they are lighning fast and even the small ones can do some serious damage. Casting to them whilst any part of your body is in the water is not recommended. But they are also a lot of fun and can save the day when not much else is showing.
Old 05-31-2005, 05:38 PM

I fished Isla Blanca last April. The permit did not care about my merkin, but they committed suicide over my kwan fly. Due to high winds I got 5 good shots at permit all day. The first two were with the merkin: both were refused. A barracuda stole it and I switched to the Kwan. I hooked permit on the next three shots, and landed two.

The kwan also worked very well on Cozumel bones, though my guide thought I was nuts for using such a large fly - he likes rubber legged gotchas on 8s. By the end of the trip he was asking about the fly - I gave him my supply.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:44 AM
flyfishing guru

Awesome thanks guys. Im gonna go after whatever is biting.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:55 AM
flyfishing guru

We are also going deep sea fishing and the we are going to an island to fish. Do yall think it would be wise to bring my fly rod on those trips. Can I even catch something with an 8 off shore. What about lemon fish.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:23 AM
Flats Rat

If you dont bring your rod you will probably wish you had so I would take it anyway. Unless fish are on the surface close to the boat it will get boring blind casting into the vast expanse of deep blue very quickly. But, if you drop some chum over the side you never know what might show up. I would expect to see a few needlefish and who knows whatelse - that's the great thing about fishing in the ocean - you just never know what's going to show up next
Old 06-03-2005, 12:23 PM
flyfishing guru

Awesome. Thanks you guys.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.