Orvis silverlabel stockingfoot waders - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-26-2005, 07:52 PM

Orvis silverlabel stockingfoot waders

I picked up a pair of these the other day ,the first time I wore them was on the beach so I really didn't get a chance to test them out,the following day I wore them fishing the out flow of a creek,standing in water up to my waist in a pretty good current when I turned my body into the current sliding my left leg over to start moving, my leg felt like it weighed about 40 extra pounds heavier between the top of the gravel guard and right below the knee.As I moved the leg into the current the current grabbed the leg and almost sent me swimming,I couldn't figure out what was going on,when I started walking I could feel it in the other leg when I made it to dry land I could see that the section from the gravel guards to right below the knee ,the section that has the material doubled was full of water and was draining from two 45 degree slots sewn in at the bottom.This I thought could not be right,when I got home I checked an old pair of cabelas waders they had the same double material design except the bottom was sewn with the end wide open .To make a very long drawn out story short ,has anyone else experenced this with these Orvis waders and is this normal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2005, 09:01 PM

sounds pretty normal for a pair of lower priced waders. this is cheaper than sealing the seams.
Old 05-26-2005, 09:10 PM
Christopher

Send a message via AIM to Massflyfishing
i went through three pairs of orvis waders in two months.

do yourself a favor and get a pair of simms
Old 05-27-2005, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperstripper
I picked up a pair of these the other day ,the first time I wore them was on the beach so I really didn't get a chance to test them out,the following day I wore them fishing the out flow of a creek,standing in water up to my waist in a pretty good current when I turned my body into the current sliding my left leg over to start moving, my leg felt like it weighed about 40 extra pounds heavier between the top of the gravel guard and right below the knee.As I moved the leg into the current the current grabbed the leg and almost sent me swimming,I couldn't figure out what was going on,when I started walking I could feel it in the other leg when I made it to dry land I could see that the section from the gravel guards to right below the knee ,the section that has the material doubled was full of water and was draining from two 45 degree slots sewn in at the bottom.This I thought could not be right,when I got home I checked an old pair of cabelas waders they had the same double material design except the bottom was sewn with the end wide open .To make a very long drawn out story short ,has anyone else experenced this with these Orvis waders and is this normal.
That is considered a "implementation feature" by those wacky people over at Orvis.
Old 05-27-2005, 10:15 AM

Silver Label

Orvis Silver Label = Garbage.
Old 05-27-2005, 10:41 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
I have a pair of them and I think they're great. I got them off eBay for $70 though, and wouldn't have paid the full $189 from Orvis. I've never had the problem you describe either.
Old 05-27-2005, 11:03 AM

The old SL's are Junk

However they replaced my last pair with the Silver Label 2 which has stood up to (almost) a full year with only minor leaks that were my fault. Much better-made than the originals.

The open drainage ports for the knees can be a drag but that's the price you pay for abrasion resistance.

Next pair will be Simms.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:14 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
I checked my Silver Labels and they don't have the 45 deg slots you describe. The entire bottom is open to allow water out...
Old 06-01-2005, 02:56 PM
Middle Aged Member

I had Silver label hiking boot waders for 5 years. The first pair developed a leak in the crotch after 4 seasons. Orvis replaced them with new ones. Obviously the later version of this model had been "value engineered" as they started leaking in short order. Had no complaints with the first pair or Orvis service in rectifying the problem. Orvis gave me a gift cert which I added $115 to and upgraded to the new XT tailwaters. I'm impressed so far.
Old 06-01-2005, 03:47 PM
President of CAC

I bought a pair at the Orvis tent sale two years ago and for the times I wear them they are great... and better still...I paid only $30 for them

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.