Fly Fishing, how to learn - Fly Fishing Forum
Getting Started The only dumb question is the one not asked

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-26-2005, 01:08 PM

Smile Fly Fishing, how to learn

Al though I've done much fishing, I want to get started on the right foot with Fly Fishing, and I should have posted earlier, but I'm new to this site. Heading for Ixtapa later today. But it will be interesting to read response when I get back.

I have no idea if I have the time or my other interests will over come my learning, but I plan to try.

I have owned a 10 wt rig for a couple of yrs and have practiced some, but not enough, I live on the Texas Coast and seems like the days I picked the wind was blowing a gail, its always windy here. Anyway, I bought a book (lefty's). I have made one attemp in Mazatalan for sails, but it didnt work and quickly figured that was not the place to start, need to walk before I run.

I read in the book about fly line types and I look at my reel and have no clue what kind of line I have and can't remember what they put on it. I look at the book and then go to the tackle places and the guys tell me something different on leaders and etc...............I'll go with the book, but confusing, nothing seems to be consistant. I read the book, but when I try to practice it seems I forget what the book said, kinda like my baseball coach told me, its hard to think hit at the same time.

I have bought some flys, but without looking at the book do not know one from the other. Although I can tell they are different colors............some look really cool...............surely they will catch fish.

I wanted to throw out some of my thoughts.

I think the first thing I need to do is work on my casting so when I tie one of the flies that I have no clue what it is on I might find a dumb fish . Then learn to tie knots so I can tie one of those flies I have not clue what it is on my line. Then find someone smarter than me to tell me what kind of line I have on my reel . Then read the book again.

Thoughts please

Last edited by wwdoddiii; 05-26-2005 at 01:11 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.