HELP!! - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-25-2005, 11:15 AM
flyfishing guru

Exclamation HELP!!

Yea me and my friend are going to Isla Mujeres in 4 weeks. Its off the coast of Cancun. What fish should we expect, what weight rods and what flies should we have? Any info. whatsoever would be awesome. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2005, 12:17 PM

Lots of barracuda around there as well as sharks and jacks. I'd bring an 8-weight and a 9 or 10 weight. Baitfish patterns - Clousers, Deceivers, etc. and small crab patterns for the occasional bonefish.

Good Luck!
Old 05-25-2005, 12:18 PM
Flats Rat

T.J. I've not fished Isla Mujeres but further South in Ascention Bay.

I would be prepared for bonefish, barracuda and permit in the shallows and maybe Snook and Tarpon in the lagoons. The Yucatan gets a reliable run of Tarpon along the gulf coast in Summer that can be had casting in the surf and there are usually a few hanging around at other times.

My 'go-to' outfit for the tropics is a 9ft 9wt with a WF floating line that I use for almost everything except the bigger fish which I target with a 12wt. I carry a few lengths of LC13 that enables me to create an instant sink-tip if needed. If you plan to boat fish over deeper water a fast sinking line might be useful.

Do a search through the boards here and you'll find plenty of ideas for fly patterns. Each location tends to have it's favorites. Sometimes this is based on obvious factors like the size and predominance of bait - shrimps, crabs, juvie fish etc. But sometimes there are 'must-have' colors that seem to work better in certain areas.

I've found that some of the best sites for fishing in Mexico are in Spanish!

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:24 PM
flyfishing guru

Thanks guys this is awesome. Any other info. would be awesome. thanks
Old 05-26-2005, 06:12 PM
flyfishing guru

One more question guys, how is the visibility out there. Could I be able to see the bones and jack at all.
Old 05-27-2005, 06:45 AM
Flats Rat

Sigt fishing here is pretty much like the rest of the Carribean. Heavy storm will roil up the water otherwise if you know what you're looking for you'll be fine.

If you have never sight fished before they will probably see you before you see them

When you spook for first school of bonefish it will seem like someone just dropped a half ton of gravel chippings in the water right next to you
Old 05-28-2005, 10:09 AM
flyfishing guru

Yea I have never sight fished like that, but I have for a lot of everything else. Adrian if you could would you give me a couple of hints and what to look for. Im gonna bring my 8wt. down there so that really just lets me fish for bones, jacks and small perms. What flies are best to catch Jacks on. Im prolly gonna bring an assortment of clousers, decievers and crab patterns. Im hoping that there will be a local fly shop there to show me some good patterns.
Old 05-29-2005, 02:59 PM
flyfishing guru

Would this be a pretty good selection. Let me know if there is anything else I should have. Thanks again.
Old 05-29-2005, 03:00 PM
flyfishing guru

Cant get the pic to post o well.
Old 09-04-2005, 07:11 PM

isla mujeres is not known for good flats fishing,, small area and beaches allready has plenty stress from tourist and locals,,, best place to try is cancun area,,, it has 11 huge lagoons and lots of fish,,,, very nice shallow sand flats and lots of mangrove islands,,, their habbitat is best i have seen in area,,,,,,,,,,,, who knows better,,, the only local guide,,, capt. RODMAN HUNTER,,, get a hold off him,, no one can provide most accurate info on the area,,,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.