Nauset beach - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-23-2005, 04:23 PM

Nauset beach

Friday and Saturday went down to Chatham light and Morris island in the morning didn't see anybody from the forum or clave ,I must of just missed everybody ,so I went to Nauset and fished from the parking lot north to the inlet ,plenty of fish, micros to several 30 inchers. Sorry I missed everyone as I was looking forward to casting and catching with the clave crew.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2005, 05:13 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Did you see the huge shoals of bait with hundreds of gannets dive bombing? We saw that going on for hours at Chatham Inlet and they headed north. According to some reports, it's possible that they were on tinker macs, although Sean thought he saw 8-10" herring.

I recall a giant blitz of big bass I experienced in Truro one year with tinker macs on the beach, and have heard similar stories from Sean Fields and Harry Koons on Nauset.

Eventually that bait will make a forced landing at the merciless pounding of big cow bass, and if there was an angler there at the right time / right place he'd just as soon hit the lottery.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 05-23-2005, 05:57 PM

Juro,

Adrian and I got into the birds Friday night on the incoming after dinner at the Squire. No Herring, it looked like the birds might have been snacking on the micros .
Old 05-23-2005, 09:14 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I doubt they were eating micros because they were stationary for hours over their victims. Bass wouldn't sit in one spot getting dive bombed, or at least not by any evidence I've ever seen. Even the smallest twinkies move deliberately in groups and with few exceptions in the predictable course during the migration, whether spring or fall.

Of course there is always room for something new but I heard of folks catching tinker macs, squid were in the area, and herring. Most of the time where bait could not flee successfully there was a combination of underwater and airborne threats creating the bait ball (common term on the west coast for herring rounded up by salmon and birds working together). There would not be an underwater complement predator working to keep schoolies in one spot with the birds, they would be free to move. However, if they were another forage species the stripers would hold them in place.

Just my gut feel, based on a lot of watching over the years but I could be wrong.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.