"What would Jesus Drive" campain. - Fly Fishing Forum
Our Environment We are stewards of wild places

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-23-2005, 10:35 AM

"What would Jesus Drive" campain.

An interesting article on the internet this morning on "creation Care" which is a new movement begining to take place in the Evengelical world. It it asserts that Christians are stewards of Gods creations. There is strong oppostition to it in the truely conservative Evengelical section including the Bush administration and the very conservative US senators like Inhoff of Oklahoma. But I think it's a positive step and hope the movement gains ground.

A couple months ago while visiting my daughters ranch in Wyoming I got to see some of this new movevement first hand. Many very conservative ranchers who are very born again were fed up with where land rights issues had gone. They once believed that they had every right to do as they pleased with their land. But watching other land owners subdivide ranches into disasters and watching the Oil and Gas companies come on to their property and render the land useless to cattle ranching by putting up hundreds of gas wells that pollute with poison gas and polluted water tables they have had enough. Small grass root groups are popping up all through the conservative high desert rocky mountain west and those joining such groups are not left wing liberals but those that just a few years ago would have voiced the opinion that "God gave me the right to do what ever I want with my property."

Maybe there will be light at the end of the tunnel in the environmental movement yet.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/79114881
Sorry this address does not work anymore but was in the msnbc US news section for 5/23/05.
The link for the Evangelical Environmental Network is:
www.creationcare.org/magazine/
The mission statement link at the top of the page is interesting.
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2005, 02:37 PM

"Maybe there will be light at the end of the tunnel in the environmental movement yet."
that "light" would be a train
Old 05-24-2005, 12:28 AM

IF......

We were to all "See" our role in the Stewardship of the Gift that was given to us, there would be NO need for the banter, the back and forth, the finger pointing, the one handed "My Way or the Highway" attitude. Meanwhile that which was given to us to "Steward" suffers.
So simple, yet most refuses to understand.
Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2005, 08:53 PM
spey addict

Send a message via AIM to Moose
Although I support the general principle of Holy Stewardship, two things come to mind. First, Christ gave but one commandment to us during his time on earth, to "Love one another as I have loved you". If we were all to follow this most basic principle of love, everything else would fall into place, including the loving care of our planet (you would no sooner crap in your neighbors yard as your own). Second, Man has dwelled on this planet for somewhere between 3,000 and 10,000 years, depending on which side of the evolution argument you stand on, and we all surely agree that the planet is a lot older than that. Mans recent rush to rape and pillage the earth has gone on for a couple of hundred years, and in the long run mother earth will shake our race off of her like a bad case of fleas (if God doesn't do it first!) Our degradation of this beautiful place serves only to poison ourselves, the planet will survive. We need to focus on the long term care and loving concern for the liveliehood of the individual and do away with the corporate greed that pervades this world. It is the single biggest threat to person and planet. We as a nation (and world) are not worthy of our complaining so long as we live in apathy to the ways of the world. Focusing on the ways of God rather than the pursuits of man will put an end to all our problems.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever
believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. John 3:17
Life is but a walking shadow. A poor player who struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot. Full of sound and fury!! Signifying nothing. May as well go fishing!
Old 05-27-2005, 09:15 AM

I suspect Jesus would drive a 15 passanger van. Given 12 apostles, Mary, and mary Magdelan, a few fish and loaves of bread and a jug or 2 of wine, it would be the perfect vehicle.
Old 05-27-2005, 10:07 AM

I suspect your right JusBones. But as much as things change some do not. After all back in the 60's and early 70's, Jesus was driving a VW Bus hand painted with peace signs and flowers all-a-round. His passengers back then were still the same group, the fish wasn't frozen and flown in from Chile. The wine back in those days not so good, even had a screw cap. And back then no one was debating if one of the Mary's was his secrete old lady.
Old 05-27-2005, 12:12 PM
tubin' for a bruisin'

Send a message via AIM to flyjkol
I think Jesus would drive a nice pair of sandles
Old 05-27-2005, 05:05 PM

Since he was a carpenter, he would drive a pick up or a van. Probably used.
Max pollution/gas consumption.
He would try to make up for it in other ways. Maybe turn his thermostat down a little and wear a sweater around the house. He would probably ride his bike to temple, or take the bus.
He wouldn't care what his buddies drive or pass judgement (not his job he figures).
Old 05-27-2005, 07:34 PM
spey addict

For the record, I believe it was published that he drove a donkey. But it did have leather and 4 wheel (or hoof) drive
Life is but a walking shadow. A poor player who struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot. Full of sound and fury!! Signifying nothing. May as well go fishing!
Old 05-28-2005, 03:32 AM

He would probably borrow the old man's car.
Which begs the question? What does god drive?

www.speygillie.co.uk
Old 05-28-2005, 08:29 AM

a Chevy....
Old 05-28-2005, 02:01 PM
loco alto!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose
Man has dwelled on this planet for somewhere between 3,000 and 10,000 years, ..
Homo sapiens sapiens has been around for about 200,000 years, other Homo spp. nearly 2 million years. For those interested in how humans came to harness the resources around them, and eventually dominate planet, the book "Guns, Germs and Steel" by Jared Diamond is very good reading.
Old 05-28-2005, 02:43 PM

for those that would like a good read on how humans came to be ( befor they domminated the world) I recomend "Getting Here" by W W. Howells. It was written a few years ago, so there are some small details that have been since rethought (a few new monkeys have been found), but it is very readable and gives a good sense of things.
Things like how extra bones in the jaw evolved to become parts of the ear.
Old 05-28-2005, 09:25 PM
spey addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSPey
Homo sapiens sapiens has been around for about 200,000 years, other Homo spp. nearly 2 million years. For those interested in how humans came to harness the resources around them, and eventually dominate planet, the book "Guns, Germs and Steel" by Jared Diamond is very good reading.

The oldest documented human civilization was near the confluence of the Tigris and Euphrates rivers about 10,000 years ago. Going beyond that brings us into the realm of the "Man or monkey" arguments and right back to the debate over creation or evolution. Jumping from 10,000 years to 200,000 years without archaeological proof is too much of a jump to be believed.

Of course there's the just as provable "aliens transplanted on Earth" theory
Old 05-28-2005, 10:23 PM

I think that we can agree right now that there is nothing anyone can post here that will convince anyone to change their mind on the creation/evolution debate. Let's not try.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.