Giant Trevally - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-22-2005, 12:03 PM

Giant Trevally

I will be fishing for GTs for the first time in Feb06 and would apreciate any coments on rods ( I am taking 9' #10 & 12s and maybe a 13' # 10/11 or 12/13) backing (300y 50lb gelspun?) leaders (20lb ?flourocarbon) shock tippets (?60lb flourocarbon ??wire) and flies (?poppers ?clousers ?deceivers ??hook sizes and recomended brands)
I guess I cannot just fish for steelhead & chinook - all advise would be appreciated!
speydoc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2005, 12:38 PM
In moderation

Hi Speydoc
The GT that I caught in the Seychelles in March (there is a thread somewhere) was about 80lbs.
I used an Orvis T3 9ft 11wt rod and Tibor Gulfstream reel with a floating line and a 4/0 brown and white deceiver. The leader was basiucally a 16lb Mason tarpon leader tied coventionally with 2 biminis with 60lb shock tippet. It was in fact my normal set up for tarpon.
I used 30lb backing and the fly was tied on a Gamakatsu SL12 hook.
I have heard that GTs will take most flies when they are hungry.
I have noticed that it seems normal for a GT to follow the fly and then turn away. If you can then get the fly to it again it will jump on it.
The sort of need to be teased into taking but when they take it is explosive.
I have only caught a few but they are probably the most agressive fish I have come across.

Where are you off to?

Pete
Old 05-22-2005, 10:49 PM

Pete
Thanks for the info - I will also be going to the Seychelles. A friend is making the arrangements, so I am currantly not sure which island/s we will be fishing.
speydoc
Old 05-23-2005, 03:39 PM

I recommend you check out the TFO TiCr X 9' 12 wt 4 pc. It's just the ticket for what you are looking to do.

Make certain you are using bullet proof hooks (i.e. Owner Aki, Trey Combs' big game etc.) on what ever fly you choose.

Chris

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.