Do Bones get "sluggish" in July/Aug - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-22-2005, 07:55 AM

Question Do Bones get "sluggish" in July/Aug

Just curious if anyone had my experience during the above subject months. Last July, during some very warm weather, I had my best "to the boat" days while fishing Abaco. However, it seemed as though the fish did not have the "strong runs and hard fight" I experienced during cooler months....any thoughts on water temp and "fight" ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2005, 09:08 AM
In moderation

Hi Mark
I have experienced the same thing but from a slightly different angle.
When fishing the Keys in january the bonefish seem to fight harder in colder water.

Pete
Old 05-22-2005, 02:40 PM

Arrow books tell me this

that it gets to warm for them in the keys in the late spring. so they migrate out of there to cooler water. this was from leftys kerhs book fishing the flats. so you are haveing the same thoughts. because one is over heated and slugish and the other is at a ballanced temp for that fish. which will equal to lots of strikes and long runs. same goes for all fish they have to find that perfect temp. weather its in the thermocline? of a lake or in the spring time in a river. like timeing a steel head run to the 50 degree mark of the river.

good luck to you and wish you lots of time on the water stonefly1013........

Last edited by stonefly1013; 05-22-2005 at 02:41 PM.
Old 05-23-2005, 11:54 PM
Cert. Amateur Bugslinger

Yup...

I believe you are correct about this correlation, as do many other guides I've talked to. I've noticed that during the winter here we have to chase many of the bigger bones we hook and the fight seems to take longer. I just did a trip to north Andros and our guide, Charlie Neymour, mentioned the same thing - how some of the same size fish we were landing fought "twice as hard" during the winter months. I'm fairly sure that water temp and oxygen content are related, but I'm no marine biologist. My guess though is that colder temps allow fish to fight longer like they allow joggers to run longer - less overheating and (in the fish's case) more oxygen to the muscles.

In addition to bones getting "sluggish" during these months, they are also harder to find on the flats, particularly the bigger ones. August in particular is historically a bad month, so much so that last year was the first I guided... and that was only because it was unusually cool and I switched to outside flats on flood tides early in the day. By about 11am you can pack it in and spend the rest of the day holed up in the shade somewhere with your favorite beverage, ice cold for preference. August is also the time when we witness the most "mudding" activity from bones in about 6-8 feet of water. This starts at about 10am and goes all day. The old folks say it's always been that way. Again, my guess is this is due to water temps being more favorable in deeper water after the flats start to heat up. I've had occasion to fish these muds with clients (not much like classic bonefishing, I know) and the fish from this deeper water fight much harder than the same size we take on the flats.

Still, these are bonefish we're talking about and while they may be slower in the dog days of summer, they still kick the pants off other fish their size. The real surprise is how much harder they can fight when it's cooler.

Good stuff,
Bonehead

Last edited by bonehead; 05-23-2005 at 11:55 PM.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:49 PM

Send a message via MSN to arubaman
Chico Fernandez stated it all, check out his wisdom in his book. I am experiencing the same thing. Aruba vs.Salt lakes in Bonaire. In Aruba they have the same weatherconditions, but due to the structure of the sites the water is colder. I think there's a huge difference on drills. The hard Bones straight from the ocean are much thougher to find,but also harder on the drill, compared to the ones in the hot Salt Lake of Bonaire. But still..... Troutfishing will never be the same!
Old 06-09-2005, 05:25 PM
*** FORUM SPONSOR ***

Location: Western New York Steelhead, Bahamas Bonefish, Wild Western Trout
I believe that bones definitely do get sluggish in warmer water. I just got back from Boca Pail Lodge in Mexico and the water was very warm there-probably mid-80's. The same size fish that fought so well in the Bahamas in April fought much less and for a shorter period there in Mexico.
The water temp in the Bahamas probably peaked at 75 while I was there.
There were a hell of a lot of permit though in Mexico--they like it hot!
God does not deduct from man's alloted time the hours spent fishing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.