RI... Week in review 5/19 - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-19-2005, 02:42 PM

RI... Week in review 5/19

If you're a bean counter angler who delights in the shear numbers of striper you catch, than right now is the best time to wet a line.

Upper Narragansett Bay, north of Prudence Island is filled with all sizes of stripers right now and some into the double digits. Enormous amounts of silversides have migrated through the upper bay this week. As happens during spring, hordes of stripers follow them. Fishing is fantastic and continues throughout the day time. The stripers, unlike blues, will feed from underneath and around the edges of pods of silversides. Not being aggressive keeps the schools intact and near the surface. The bite continues for hours. Trolling techniques haven't been as effective as casting small rubber baits, tiny swimming plugs or streamer flies. The size of lures is most important at times when smaller fish are present. Smaller fish will trigger the fish sounders, but anglers are perplexed why there are no hookups. Locating and idenifying schools, than using flies helps the process.

More bass in the teens should be entering the upper bay this weekend. There are not as many river herring around at this time of year that should be. Twenty-pound fish will be at a premium since that is their main staple. Go fishing now while it last. In a few days these schools will breakup into smaller pods and fishing becomes more of a skilled event.

Last weekend was a perfect weekend to start the official charter season. Rainer and Jeff Paul couldn't have picked a better weekend either. This is their fifth season coming to RI during the annual spring migration of bass. My guess is that maybe Rainer and Jeff landed and released over 100 stripers Sunday and maybe 60 Saturday. Sunday was the best. Except for maybe a half-hour, they caught relentlessly. Most of the bass were in the three to five category. We had a dozen fish at nine pounds. Later in the day we found a slug of new fish coming up the bay near Poppaquash Point. Those turned out to be the largest of the day. Rainer and Paul left for their home with many memories and very sore arms. They had a two-hour drive ahead of them as we parted. Thank God for automatic transmissions.

Anyone out last weekend will know for sure, that these fish counts are not embellished. Right Sean and Steve!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2005, 03:12 PM
Fly chucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayStachelek
There are not as many river herring around at this time of year that should be.
That seems to be a common theme. The numbers are down here in CT too.
Old 05-19-2005, 08:33 PM
CantAnchorUs

Just in from Goddard Park, I don`t get to fish many evenings so I thought I`d try for a few Squeteague. What I found was a bunch of 25 to 30" bass all over the shore line. For the counters, like me, I got 14 in 2 1/2 hrs. All had sea lice so it must be a new slug of fish moving in.
Slinger
Old 05-20-2005, 03:03 AM

Capt Ray I know a lot of Bean counter anglers. I like that term. Seems as if they have to always let you know how many fish they get. Don't know why they do this. FishHawk
Old 05-21-2005, 02:48 PM

Ray,

Thanks for the RI Report.

Made my First Trip of the Season Friday, in Upper B-Bay with my dad.

Rough Bean Count: ~4.5 hours OTW, ~1/2 doz fish each, up to ~26".

2" sparse Clouser worked well, 3", 4" & 5" rubber shad also worked.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.