Fish and Geographical Reports - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-19-2005, 08:12 AM

Fish and Geographical Reports

Went to Camelot on the 16th and 17th.....fished and scoped out the area to get the lay of the land for this upcoming season of flats fishing.
Fish report:
Twinkies, twinkies, twinkies!!!! Fished the tub the first day.....no fish on the flats yet, but every hole had twinkies (10 to 15 inches)....hoards of them...if one wanted to, it would be easy to catch over 50 in 4 to 5 hrs.. I went from hole to hole in search of something lager...same deal.....did get about a dozen "fish wannabies" in the 18 to 20 range in the 2 days. In frustration, I tied on a 5 1/2 inch chartreous 1/2 and 1/2 that I use occassionally in the surf, to hopefully attract something larger....on the first cast I got an "8"........eight inches that is, the smallest fish in 2 days So much for the big bait/big fish theory! Advice...if you want twinkies....put on a fly and cast it in the water anywhere over the edge of the flats.
Met up with a few surf guys.....same deal except that they reported that early hours, that they did get some fish in the 20 to 25 inch range. They had to blind cast as the sun was non existant.
As the 2 days were not as predicted (partly cloudy)....I got a bad case of fog and cloud burn both days....what is it with these guys????!!!!!
Now to the "lay of the land report":
Walked from the Lighthouse parking lot to J buoy....thankfully, it wasn't a death march for me, close, but not quite
Things have changed folks!!!!!! Arrived at the 1st point after the drop point approx. 1 hr before the low and left about 2 hrs into the incoming. Re fish...same deal...in holes or over grass only.
Basically what I found is that the flats from the point to about 200 ft before the grass flats before K are 70% gone. That is....at low, only 30 % of the original flat is there and then the "flat" goes down at about a 30 degree angle to the channel...at low, standing at the water's edge....walk in 10 ft and you are over your basket in water. !!!!!
The point towards L is the same......standing at low tide, the closest to L that I could get was about 150 yards...no more throwin to the channel there folks!
At the point...that nice long bar is 80% gone......at K, the grass appears to be in deeper water and both sand humps are basically gone.
Didn't go above J, but that appears to be the same...there are flats still there.
The worst news....as I was standing bewtween K and L...2 power boats cut in flats side of the buoys at full speed and proceeded to cut right infront of the 1st point at about 30mph!....thanks to the changes....it looks like the area between K and L is the new short cut for the boaters to the tub....at low, they can come to within 50 ft, full blast, of the first point......CRAP!!!!!!
I am still hoping that the above is not true...maybe a freak tide and it didn't get as low as it usually does....but I think that the above is correct. Other's who have scoped it out this year...please chime in......I hate being wrong, but this time I want to be!
Lastly.....I experienced NO CURRENT on the flats (that are still there).....either that's because 1 hr each way of low, the southway filled to the point that no water flows.....or ....the southway is closed...period!
Me thinks that we need to start from page one...it will be a season of learning. I know that it has been said on this site that "changes bring new opportnities"...I hope whoever's words those are...are right.
Oh....some good news....found a gas station on the Cape that sold regular for $2.08.
Ron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2005, 08:53 AM
Flats Rat

Good stuff Ron - could you pm me the location of that gas station.

I thought I was doing well this morning when I found $2.099 at Exit 1 on I84!
Old 05-19-2005, 09:52 AM

Send a message via MSN to jamie Send a message via Skype™ to jamie
Buy your gas here

Forget rods and reels, I am going to have to stock up on gas when I am over. We pay $6.23
Old 05-19-2005, 12:00 PM

Jamie, Damn good thing that there is no Trans-Atlantic Bridge! You guys would have no money left for "tea".
Old 05-19-2005, 01:10 PM

Thanks for the report.

Too bad about the flats but the lack of current is a real drag. Hopefully there will be some big fish on the outside over the weekend. the new 8" zebra (striper pattern) might be the fly of choice since it's probably the only big bait in the area.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:38 PM

Ron good report.

Hopefully another storm will move through and push things around (preferably mid-week when I'm not around )

I wonder if the flow through the crib has improved thanks to the southway closure? Too bad you missed the sun - the weather forecasts have been changing by the minute lately...
Old 05-19-2005, 04:33 PM
Squire animal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
Jamie, Damn good thing that there is no Trans-Atlantic Bridge! You guys would have no money left for "tea".
We'll always have money for tea... It's the law over here!

Joking aside - Our petrol prices are truely ridiculous compared to you guys. A UK gallon (regular) is around 3:70... That's $6:84 US and we've been paying those sort of prices for years!

Last edited by Stevo; 05-19-2005 at 04:36 PM.
Old 05-19-2005, 04:39 PM
resigned

Ron. Thanks for the report and all the walking you did to get it for us! What is the report on the break below the drop off? Has it filled back up? Nature has it's ways of changing things, sometimes for the better. Gentlemen! Man your shovels!

Phil

Phil
Old 05-19-2005, 05:27 PM

Moon phase

Thanks for the report Paxton ,as far as tide and water movement ,we are in a moon phase with very little extreme tide changes,I think there is only a difference of 1 1/2 - 2 ft of change between high and low in that area,if Ichecked the charts correctly.
Old 05-19-2005, 05:52 PM

Hope you are right about the tides.....sure would be nice to see it as it was last year. But even if the tide movement was not extreme the day I scoped it out, it is still definetly deeper at L and to K.....hopefully things will look better on a different moon phase.
Phil.....I looked and looked, but didn't see any evidence of where the break through was...it must have repaired itself very well....who ever did it, should go into landscape management.

Ron
Old 05-19-2005, 07:32 PM
President of CAC

Well..... there is always Monomoy if the tub turns out bad this summer..... and the big bar at the lighthouse production remains to be seen.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.