Fly Fishing Forum banner

Micros good or bad sign

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  striperstripper 
#1 ·
With a lot of anglers catching a lot of Micros do you think this is a good thing or bad? I at first thought this was a good sign but after thinking about it I'm not so sure. Kind of reminds me of brook trout that when they is very little food the fish become stunted and there are a lot of them.
FishHawk

#2 ·
We have a similar situation over here in the UK, mainly due to their not being the numbers of mature fish though! :(
These small fish are tomorrows lunkers, so care should be taken when catching/handling them, I feel.

If there was regular availability for catching bigger fish then personally I wouldn't bother with the small ones!

#3 ·
micros

Micros are a good thing ,as long as when you say micros you mean shorter than short and not long skinny under nurished about to starve or sickly looking.Those little 5-10 " micros will most likely grow as much as 3-4 " before they start the fall migration .I f they're able to successfully run the gauntlet between now and next year they will return to us twice the size.Small fish means future fish,back in the late 70's and early 80's there were no micros,plenty of big fish but nothing to take their place.My 2 cents worth of personal opinion is that it is not good to keep fishing and catching when you run into an area that is full of these micros similar to what I Experenced yesterday,we have to protect the future.Once the bluefish show up in your area this micros won't stay around to long.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.