Puget Sound Steelhead may be listed as Threatened/Endangered - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2005, 04:51 PM
Steelhead-a-holic

Exclamation Puget Sound Steelhead may be listed as Threatened/Endangered

Not April Foolin either~

Published in the Federal Register 4/5/2005 -

SUMMARY: NMFS received a petition
from Mr. Sam Wright on September 13,
2004, to list Puget Sound (Washington)
steelhead (Oncorhynchus mykiss) as a
threatened or endangered species under
the Endangered Species Act (ESA).
NMFS finds that the petition presents
substantial scientific and commercial
information indicating that the
petitioned action may be warranted.
Accordingly, NMFS is initiating a status
review of the species. To ensure that the
status review is complete and based
upon the best available scientific and
commercial information, NMFS is
soliciting information regarding the
viability of, and threats to, Puget Sound
O. mykiss populations, efforts being
made to protect the species, and the
names of potential peer reviewers.
DATES: Information and comments on
the subject action must be received by
June 6, 2005
ADDRESSES: You may submit comments
and information by any of the following
methods. Please identify submittals as
pertaining to the ‘‘Puget Sound O.
mykiss status review update.’’
• E-mail: PS.Omykiss.nwr@noaa.gov.
Include ‘‘Puget Sound O. mykiss status
review update’’ in the subject line of the
message.
• Federal e-rulemaking portal: http://
www.regulations.gov
• Mail: Submit written comments and
information to Chief, NMFS, Protected
Resources Division, 1201 NE Lloyd
Boulevard, Suite 1100, Portland, OR
97232. You may hand-deliver written
comments to our office during normal
business hours at the street address
given above.
• Hand Delivery/Courier: NMFS,
Protected Resources 1201 NE Lloyd
Boulevard, Suite 1100, Portland, OR
• Fax: 503–230–5441
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT: For
further information regarding this action
contact Garth Griffin, NMFS, Northwest
Region, (503) 231–2005, or Marta
Nammack, NMFS, Office of Protected
Resources, (301) 713–1401.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2005, 05:01 PM
Jolly Buddha

If you want to see the entire Federal Register Notice, whcih includes background information, check:

http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2...df/05-6714.pdf

THE NEWER CHIEF of E.P.

Real Steelhead Don't Eat Pellets!!
Old 04-06-2005, 11:25 AM

Hate to say we all didn't see this coming. I want to do the right thing for the fish even though it will impact my angling.

Sad day for all.

JJ
Old 04-06-2005, 01:00 PM

Wondering how this will change our Sound fishing season? Does anyone think that there will be no season? I think it will be very close to how it is now. Did the federal goverment put in a no bait law in other ESA listed rivers throughout the NW?

One thing I see that may help the fish is hopefully there will be stronger laws on watershed developement. When the state and county goverments were given the responsibility I think they tried hard to enact sound development laws but the vested interests of organizations like the Washington Builders Assoc. were able to lobby and invest a lot of money in local elections and hurt protection laws. Maybe now we can have some laws that have some teeth that will hold up no matter who is running King County or Skagit County. Also an ESA listing may help with slowing down timber cutting. Though it had slowed down for a few years it seems that it has picked up again throughout the region. Anyone know if an ESA listing can slow down the DNR cuttings that seem to be going full force?
Old 04-06-2005, 04:04 PM

Hey OC the Fed put some interesting options on the Elwha when they first entered the fray re. Chinook. They kept fishing open to Fly Fishing this so the few that wanted to fish for the small runs of Summer Steelheads and Cutthroat could continue to fish. However a gang of fellows who targeted the Chinnok with Fly gear brought that to a screeching halt or so I am told.
One thing that will come about with this listing is there will be even more folks taking up the available space out on the Op which for some reason that I can't quite grasp is still listed as being OK by the State and the Guides association.
For quite sometime I have been saying that I will be lucky to get to fish ffor the rest of my life as I am approaching "the Golden Years" faster than I thought possible I still wonder where I may have to move to to finish the job.
Old 04-06-2005, 04:24 PM

Hey Moonlight, You gettin old too? I can't believe that, just last year you could stay up all night drink and then walk and fish for hours. Hey you want to go fishing with me and Tom Delay next week! We are going to put feeding tubes in our endangered OP Wild Steeelhead.
Old 04-06-2005, 04:37 PM

Imagine it won't affect the angling regs that much but it might make it harder to open a river which I won't mind and is par for the course lately.
Old 04-06-2005, 05:29 PM

Is there any chance that declaring them endangered will allow for more scrutiny and control over commercial fisheries and aquaculture ? If that was the case then it might not be such a bad thing. Especially if they didn't close the rivers to fishing or just implemented C+R regulations. I would hope that the WSC would have mor leverage if the steelhead were acknowledged to be endangered. Maybe I'm naive.

By the way OC, I hope you are not really a Tom Delay fan. Not only will you have to put feeding tubes in them but since they are entering the river to spawn you may be accused of promoting birth control measures by slowing there progression upstream when you should be lecturing them on celibacy .

Gillie
Old 04-06-2005, 06:40 PM

one step at a time

First, the updated review isn't likely to be completed by September, based on the agency track record. It could be months later than that. Second, the review may not result in a proposed listing. NMFS is likely to receive a lot of input on the status of Puget Sound steelhead, ranging from the PS ESU doesn't constitute a valid species under the ESA, and although run sizes are down, available information suggests it's mostly due to ocean survival rates. Frankly, I expect a "not warranted" for listing determination, but that's second-guessing the Science Center and Administration conclusion. If a proposed listing results, the listing wouldn't take effect for 12 months. If a listing determination occurs, it would more likely be for threatened than for endangered status. If PS steelhead are listed as threatened, I would expect very little change to present fisheries management, since most wild steelhead are already protected from harvest. Where harvest does occur, it would likely be racheted down some. I would expect no change to land use decisions or DNR logging, as those activities are already consulted on under the ESA because of the PS chinook threatened status.

There could be significant changes ahead, but I'm not holding my breath.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:37 PM

Thanks Salmo G for the info "One Step at a Time" I pretty much agree with you. My only hope is to get more protection on the Skagit lower watershed.

No I dislike people such as Tom Delay, the guy is truely bad person. I was making fun of Keith and JJ. Two good people who visit Flytalk who are a little misguided I used to understand why some were Republican years ago but with people like Tom Delay in the party and there seems to be more and more of them over there I can't for the life of me understand. That's like voting for (EDIT). The guy is so full of hate and I don't think he ever voted for an environmental bill in his life. Someone last year started the rumor that I fished with Dick Chenney and we bonked 72 wild steelhead on one outing and went to the bar and spoke loudly of our endevors.

Back to the issue, I hope something positive comes of this for Wild Steelhead. We will see.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:55 PM

OC-
Salmo pretty much the situation, though I'm probably even more pessimistic that any listing will more than marginally improve the condition of our steelhead runs.

In regards to protecting the lower Skagit habitat. Given the current admistration stance on critical habitat and the fact that the basin all ready has two listed fish; chinook and bull trout, I would be shocked that any additional protection will be provided.

As far as potential changes of fishing seasons - I would expect that fisheries would be evaluated against the standard of no more than a 10% incidental impact on the wild population. Given the virtually everywhere in Puget Sound the incidental imapcts are below that 10% threshold I would not expect to see any changes in those fisheries creating those incidental impacts. I would not be surprised to see all directed wild steelhead fisheries terminated, regardless of how low those impacts may be.

What can be done to improve the lot of our steelhead? Not much until such time as the horrendous marine survival conditions improve. The other day I was looking at the hatchery winter steelhead returns on the Green River. For the period 1979/80 to 1991/92 the average return rate was 3.9%. For the latest 4 years ending in 2002/03 the rate was 0.4%. Similar declines in survival are being observed throughout the Puget Sound/Georgia basin area for both hatchery and wild winter steelhead. For example the wild steelhead smolt survival on the Koegh River has dropped from an average rate of 15% in the 1980s to where in recent years it is often below 3% and has dipped below 1%. I know of no management actions - in either the fisheries or habitat arenas that can bullet prove populations from declines under those conditions.

Tight lines
S malma
Old 04-06-2005, 09:08 PM

Smalma,
Any idea as to why ocean survival rates are so low ?

Gillie
Old 04-06-2005, 10:00 PM

Gillie -
About all we know is that ocean survival varies considerably over time periods of good and bad survival conditions with each the high and lows often lasting a decade or more. The conditions are not uniorm through out the Pacific. We see such swings with all the ocean migrating anadromous salmonids. It has also been the case the different regions of the ocean may experience different survival conditions at the same time. For example generally good conditions in northern Alaskan often match with poor conditions here.

Also the conditions often favor one species over the other. For example while it appears that Puget Sound steelhead are experiencing very poor conditions pink and chum salmon from the same region are doing well above average.

Not sure there is much that we can do here that would effect the ocean conditions except maybe reduce greenhouse gases.

Tight lines
S malma
Old 04-07-2005, 01:19 PM

OC,

Sorry you are out of line right now saying that if you are a republican you are voting for (EDIT). Anyone that knows me knows that I would never support any form of hatred like that. You may think I am miss guided, fair enough, for being conservative (I never say republican anymore) but saying I would support (EDIT) is way out there. I know you think that you are the only one that knows what is right and wrong and that is the attitude of division just as you say you don't like. There is something about the pot calling the kettle black that seems to come to mind here.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:51 PM

JJ,

Call me a closed minded SOB if you want it's ok. But I'm asking you right now how can you support the conservative cause and work so hard for wild steelhead? All the work you are doing is getting nixed by the conservative right. Have you done a search lately on environmental voting records. The new conservative power structure has a record that is almost perfect in voting between 0% and 6% for environmental issues. I don't expect 100% or seventy percent hell 45 to 50 and I'd say it's fair it's moderate. But 0 to 6% and Tom delay and his close associates have a Flat 0% record. I don't like those that vote 100% they can't possibly studying the issues but ya know at least I know many good things are being protected and the what maybe 20% useless laws are better safe than sorry we will survive the irritations, better to error on the side of the environment and far right conservatives are voting close to 0% protection.

Last night you listened to Larry speak and he spoke fair he gave a true report. It is the conservative far right and libertarian base that Skagit County is famous for that is stopping any chance to save fish. They will not even look at moderation it's nothing to help fish and that is the way it's going to be. We are loosing our fish and I have not herd you have the courage to come out and say that we need to do something to get conservatisim back nearer the center. For once I would like to see some of you conservatives work for that because we need people who don't have such an anti environmental stance across the country. And if you think that the liberals are too far left, sorry they are not even close, I don't see any Abby Hoffmans or Angelia Davis's in congrass or the Senate. But hell there has got to be 60 in congress that are as far right as those two I mentioned are left. The most left leaning congressmen are a lot closer to the middle than where the conseratives are hanging out these days.
So sorry I peed you off but my, yours and everyone here fish are all most gone and the fly fishing conseravtive is living in a lie just take an honest look around at groups like the Washington Buiders Association, the developement lobby and you will see who they support. I'm not asking you to become a liberal just get your party closer to the middle and we might get some things done up north.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.