Albacore/bonito hooks...stainless? - Page 2 - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Striper (etc) Flies Tricks of the trade

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-25-2005, 12:05 PM

My 2 cents

I spend alot of time during the Fall chasing them and have found that the hook doesn't make a difference. Size does sometimes but not all the time. I experimented the last few years and found that even though Albies are feeding on rainbait and they seem to ignore your best offering try throwing a 2/0 or 3/0 Pearl or Gold color Creasefly. For some reason they hit that but will steer clear of the best Anchovie immy you have.

A guide friend of mine showed me a trick up in Watchill one day. I was throwing everything from Size 4 up to Size 1/0 at the fish. They were everywhere ... I mean all around the boat. It would have been easier whacking them on the head than trying to get them to eat. The bait was small.. maybe around 1.5 inches. My closest match was a #6 Tan and White deciever ( very sparse ) w / gold flash. The match was pretty damn close. Once in a while I get a looker ... most of the time they didnt even notice it. Me and him were discussing my dilemma when he said " watch this " . He put on a 5 inch 3/4 ounce Green and Silver Gaggs Pencil Popper and proceeded to hook and land fish after fish! By this time I was ready to stick that Gaggs where the sun didnt shine.

His point was that color or size didnt matter as much as we all like to think. He advised me to put on a ratty popper or a crease fly. It worked !! not as well as that Gaggs on a spinning set up but I got alot of lookers and a few hook ups.

My personal thoughts is that presentation plays the biggest part in success. Ive caught Albies using BIG cruddy flies that I honestly would be embarassed to show anyone. Not only where they much bigger than any bait around they where bright colored and should have scared the fish as well as anyone near enough to see what I was using. The success came by varying my presentations. The best presentation I have founs so far is dead drift with an occassional twitch and a painfully slow retrieve.

Just my thoughts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2005, 12:45 PM
Pencil me in.....

Good point Mike! It always pays to watch the spinning folks and learn...The crew that I spend some time with catching FAs every fall use very large soft plastics with a side to side zara spook action and many others use small very shiny metal baits (with split rings replaced).

Last edited by jfbasser; 05-25-2005 at 12:47 PM.
Old 05-25-2005, 04:25 PM

Ever hear..

The Old Salts around Montauk telling tales of trolling 3 White feathers on a hook using a 2oz drail weight. If them FA's were that smart and could see that well dont ya think they would see a huge fin shaped weight getting dragged @ 3knts?

Im convinced its not rocket science. Although the Hook and Material supply companies may have you thinking otherwise.

Matter of fact I didnt use Flouro last year at all! I used 15lb Maxima Clear. Why spend $20 bucks on a small spool of Seagar when ya can get 4 Spools of Maxima and have $3 bucks left over for a Coke.

I have 10's of thousands of $$ tied up in gear, materials and Boats. I manage to hit quite a few fish throughout the season and no matter how fancy or transparent or non glare or whatever the latest greatest trend is I almost always find myself fishing Decievers, Clousers or my SandEeel immitation. They account for 90% of all my fish.

It all boils down to the following 3 things: Location, Presentation and Luck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.