BONECLAVE 2005 - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2005, 07:49 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

BONECLAVE 2005

I propose a new twist to the Boneclave this year. Please all you BC veterans and aspiring Boneclavers chime in and be heard...

I suggest we do it over on Martha's Vineyard this year. I have been looking at off-season camping rates, car rentals, ferries and the boaters won't need the ferry.

One big difference is that there will be more shore fishing, although the Wacky inlet is a hoot from the rocks MV has a lot more to offer to the shorebound angler.

The ferry gets into Edgartown or Oak Bluffs and I am thinking of renting a jeep (Budget, etc). If four go into the rental share it's peanuts for the weekend.

The campsite looks fantastic with cabins that sleep 6. That's even more affordable than motel 6.

I would enjoy being a guest on a boat or exploring the inlets on the MV shoreline or paddling my inflatable kayak amidst busting hardtails.

We would still have the fireside pow-wows at night, and the landlubbers could pick up / drop off the boat owners at marinas to return the favor of rides on the boat for a change.

We know one thing - the hardtail action is going to be more intense on the islands. Sure we love Washburn but a little variety is going to heighten the experience IMHO. We could try Nantucket next year, Montauk another, etc.

Thoughts?
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2005, 08:02 AM

Would not want to do if durning Derby time. Also, for those of us without a boat ride the cost of getting overthere would be high and we would have to be concerned about parking our cars . If we took our cars we might not get on the Ferry because it would be booked. Also, if we went with someone in a boat where would we park the cars?I raise this issues as a retired guy on a limited budget.
as a counter perposal I say we make the BoneClave a little later than we have been . Better shot at the hardtails and the logistics are much easier. Just my input.
FishHawk
Old 05-08-2005, 08:24 AM
Wanna be striper bum

MV

Juro,

I think that you have a good idea here. Variety is the spice of life.

My family and I took a trip to MV last year during late June. During the trip my Dad and I booked a guide and had a pretty banner day fishing for stripers. As we cruised around from spot to spot I asked our guide, Kevin, if he could be so kind as to point out the decent shore spots for targeting hard tails. As we cruised around Edgartown he was pointing out various spots that were easy access for the shore bound angler. And he said that they were damn good spots.

I also fished a fair bit near some of the bridges in Oak Bluffs. I met a hard core FF guy and he told me about some epic days fishing at the outlets near the bridges. We were in the season for great nights fishing for stripers. But he was talking about epic hard tail afternoons.

And then there is Menemsha.

I was impressed. I wanted to fish there some more.

Washburn is awesome but when you are limited to the shoreline I would opt for MV. The Boneclave is special because of the generosity of those with boats. Without boat access I would opt for MV in a hearbeat.

My thoughts,

Mike
Old 05-08-2005, 04:18 PM
Jonesin...

New boaters point of view...

Juro,

The idea of fishing MV is definitely tempting but I would have concerns from a logistics stand point. Lets face it, we live in the NE and the weather is unpredictable. Most of the boaters have CCs in the 18'-20' range and many with even smaller craft. I can definitely imagine some circumstances where I would not want to be taking the boat over or back from MV especially loaded up with camping gear etc (its currently blowing 30 mph with white caps in the harbor down the street)... Assuming the weather was perfect what is the availability of temporary slips/moorings that time of year and what would the cost be? (just did a quick search at it appers it would be about $60 a night for each boat with a 2 night minimum)

I would offer two alternate options. The first would be to stick with Wacky and book it later in the year, say mid-late September, for a better shot at the hardtails (as Fishawk suggested). The second would be RI. Camping is available at Fisherman's and Burlingame parks. I think we all know the hardtail action from shore is readily available as is the opportunity for Bass and Blues. Boaters could launch from numerous ramps including Barn Island in CT which given the right conditions could mean a shot at Montauk. I think this option might also entice a few more boaters to make the trip but I could be wrong on that one.

Just my $.02.

Sean

Last edited by Smcdermott; 05-08-2005 at 06:37 PM.
Old 05-08-2005, 07:37 PM

Good suggestions

However Waquoit does not rent the sites after Labor Day since they suffered vandalism a few years back, and the shots at bonito are better earlier although the albies are best targeted later as mentioned.

Inclement weather at Rhody is just as restrictive as inclement weather between Falmouth and the Vineyard (or more in fact), keeping boaters in behind Napatree or up inside the breachways and the shore fishing is limited compared to the island.

Nantucket Sound from Stage Harbor west and Vineyard Sound near shore are excellent hardtail waters at the right time of year. After Labor Day this opens up a huge array of options.

Keep the ideas coming.
Old 05-08-2005, 08:14 PM
Jonesin...

[QUOTE=juro]
Inclement weather at Rhody is just as restrictive as inclement weather between Falmouth and the Vineyard (or more in fact), keeping boaters in behind Napatree or up inside the breachways and the shore fishing is limited compared to the island.
QUOTE]

Juro,

My point about the weather is that we need to be there for the weekend and cary gear with us over water in the Vineyards case. That could mean getting stuck over there should a storm kick up. Not so Rhoddy. Also, in Rhoddy you have the option of a twenty minute ride to be in the lee of LI Sound which can make all the difference should we get stormed out. I think it would be awesome to fish the vineyard just not with a group this size.

Sean
Old 05-08-2005, 11:23 PM
CantAnchorUs

The Vineyard is a big jump from Washburn. The ferry last year was $125 to bring a car over and back. If you try to get into the campground this season your response will probably be an amused chuckle. The logistics for an affair like this would be huge and need a much earlier start. My vote would be for Rhoddy in Sept.
Slinger
Old 05-09-2005, 04:19 AM

I vote for Rhody also. Some of the best Hardtail water is near the Sluiceway near Fisher's Island off of Niantic which would not be that much of a run from Barn Island.
Mike Mayo took me out a couple of yeara agoand we had a blast . Hardtails boiling all over the place. Once you fish that water you'll wonder why you have not fished it. Just my .02
FishHawk

Last edited by FishHawk; 05-09-2005 at 04:22 AM.
Old 05-09-2005, 06:43 AM

Note:

Rhody is the October event. I doubt we'll be in the hardtail timing in September. We could essentially combine the two as some have suggested, or we could keep them distinct.

I am starting to think it's time to give birth to a new and separate clave, the island sortie'.

Strafing the island...

There is a big misconception of cost if you run the numbers. Bringing a car and/or boat over on the ferry would be out of the question and unnecessary. Renting a full sized 4x4 SUV rental on the island would cost $25 per person for the duration of the clave. The cabins eliminate the need for a tent or dry storage devices, tables, etc. These cabins are cheaper than the car. Carry-on what you need as passengers on the ferry. With food, the whole weekend could run you less than $100 (not counting indulgences).

Back to Boneclave:

Washburn may or may not be available, I am contacting the HQ today in about 20 minutes. All this hypothesis may be moot if the site is not available.

If available, Washburn will be booked as available. If not, I move we postpone Washburn to 2006 (little choice in that matter) and do the island sortie' this year for the September event as well as a more emphasized Rhody Octoberfest to make up for the missing Boneclave proper.

Great to get people's opinions. Please keep in mind that your vote is proportionate to your willingness to organize, contribute, and meister the event.

Belly up and be heard.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:49 AM

There was a feeling at the end of last years events that we needed to rest the BC before it got burned out, or perfunctory. So a change of venue or a year skipped is a grand idea to me. MY .02.

Lefty
Old 05-09-2005, 01:33 PM
_

Boneclave or not, I'd be interested in a weekend trip to MV (preferably not during the derby). I've only been over there on day trips, usually with my girlfriend and without a vehicle so my fishing was extremely limited with respect to both time and location.

As for the boneclave, I liked it better when we did it in September even though there were no bonito. Too bad they stopped allowing camping on Washburn after Labor Day.

Q
Old 05-09-2005, 01:46 PM

Update:

I have been calling the HQ all day long... no answer. Tried the 617 alternate # as well.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:38 PM

This is the number - no answer all day: (508) 457-0495
Old 05-10-2005, 07:42 AM

Same again this AM... maybe I will call Mike Brady over at Monomoy to ask what the deal is.
Old 05-10-2005, 02:33 PM
Jonesin...

Juro,

I called the ReserveAmerica number listed on the website for Washburn. While they don't book for site #9 they were able to book for the other sites up until Oct. 9th. Makes me wonder if they have extended the season for the whole island. If we do Washburn, I am definitely of the opionion that later would be better if possible.

Sean

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.