Fly Fishing Forum banner

Fishing Logs/Journals

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  bd12345678 
#1 · (Edited)
This season I have decided to create an organized data sheet to record all of my fishing exploits. For me, it is largely focused on freshwater, but with certain changes it could be used for the salt also. It has already proved helpful this year. Sadly, my family believes I have truly lost it. Oh well! Enjoy!

General Information
Body/Bodies of Water: ____________________________________________________.
Beginning Water Temp: ______. Later Water Temp: ______. Date: _______. Beginning Air Temp: ______. Later Air Temp: ______. Water PH: ______
Cloud Cover: ______________________________________________________.
Water Clarity:______________________________________________________.
Water Level: ______________________________________
_______________________________________________________________________.
Time: _______ until _______. Time (if 2nd session is applicable): _______ until _______.
Impending rain or storm system/s, temp drop etc (the forecast): ________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________.
Barometric pressure (if available): __________ as of ___________ (time).
Wind (a general description):__________________________________________.
General Current Weather (rain, fog, dramatic changes etc.): __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________.
Fishing specifics
Fly Fishing: __ (check for yes). Spin Fishing: __ (check for yes).
Specie/s pursued, #’s caught: __________ (__) __________ (__) ___________ (__) ___________ (___) ___________ (___).
General Fish Behavior Info: ________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________.
Fly/s and/or lure/s used: ____________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________.
Tactics Used:___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________.
Other Notes to Self: _______________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________.

Sorry! The format was changed a bit!

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm sure that all the information that you are logging is pertenit but I am certain that your own biorythmics are every bit as important. "Never let anyone cause you to doubt your ability to demonstrate the truth" (some famous talk show guy from Kalifornia, no offense). :smokin:
I tried to keep logs like this when I was fishing for Halibut and Blackcod in the Gulf of Alaska and although it was interesting I do not think it provided me with any more oppurtunitys to catch any extra fish. But you are not probably trying to catch extra fish I hope you are just trying to get more information and increase your enjoyment from the ones you are already catching.
I'm not really sure how easy it would be to test for but dissolved oxygen is key to most invertebrates. Good luck!

#3 ·
I like the format, except for me the spin checkbox is unnecessary :lildevl:

Seriously, it's quite thorough and not unlike what I used for years in my journal. It would make a nice web form / database tool.

As 5 years of journals became 10, and 10 became 20 I now keep a different journal whose objective is to capture trends at the "meta" level rather than the micro, which helps me align the odds towards higher success as a seasonal guide on Cape Cod. My freshwater fishing is primarily anadromous salmonids so particular conditions seems a little less important while sh*t luck plays a huge role, BUT the saltwater game is very rhythmic and cyclic and getting into these vibes has exploded my success rate.

In other words, given time of year, forage species, time and size of tide, water temps (not in one spot but in terms of thermoclines), structure, ambient light, wind, even skill of angler I can really tune into where to be at what time and why with a high degree of probability (there's that sh*t luck again!).

There are rhythms to be learned. If I am "tuned in" I can reliably tell with the first look out the bedroom window which direction the fish will advance from that afternoon, and where to stand adjusted to wind and light conditions with a fly that will have good appeal for the feeding behavior which differs from spot to spot believe it or not. There is no such thing as a sure thing in fishing but I can make these predictions with over 90% accuracy nowadays and that includes phone calls from friends on the beach when I am at work :)

Everyone knows that big smart stripers on Monomoy will get into specific feeding patterns that render most common flies useless in mid-summer. I usually don't play games with the fly at that point but change my tactics at the 'meta' level instead, which yields much better results that trying to imitate a 3/4 grass shrimp to catch a 43" cow.

As you gather this information, have a strategy for compiling it - because it's that big picture you derive from the data that gets you the fish!

Good luck, and if you want help putting that into html / database let me know.

Juro

#4 · (Edited)
Log vs Journal

I'm not meticulous enough to keep real data. Instead, my journal is just that (as opposed to a Log).

I only note the date, fishing buddies, location, general observations, ... who I met, if I had fun. For my weird sense of logic, I can find stuff faster.

'fur instance. Friends want to know if the sea runners will be up to the 5a zone on july 2nd ... well I remember that I once met Boris and his dad on the 5a in the early season, ... I scan through the pages and find that entry, check the date and voilà, ... Not for everyone though.

I like reading through the journal in the winter and I use it most just to remember what YEAR it was that such 'n such a thing happened.

#5 ·
fcch,
I really wish my memory was that good. I tried that last year but had a heck of a time actually looking up information I found useful. Go figure, I'm sixteen and already becoming senial (I even have trouble remembering the day of the week)! :rolleyes:

I like the format, except for me the spin checkbox is unnecessary
Juro, I realise it is a bit of a standing joke among flyfishermen, but I have my reasons. Many of the greatest flyfishermen are not ashamed to take up conventional tackle when conditions permit. I myself think there are a great many things to be learned by chucking rubber every once in a while. That being said, I still love flyfishing far more; I do not use spinning gear when the conditioins make flyfishing very difficult (as there is also a great amount to be learned at those times as well), but rather when I'd like a change of pace.

But you are not probably trying to catch extra fish I hope you are just trying to get more information and increase your enjoyment from the ones you are already catching.
Yes and no. I am trying to catch more fish, but that's more of a long term effect. I'm doing it now more to reflect upon days I did and didn't do so well, and create some kind of reasonable pattern or connection (of course there are many of these "connections"). And fo course, like you said, it also is for th greater satifaction I feel with each catch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.