Inflattable Yaks - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2005, 09:13 AM

Inflattable Yaks

I am in the market for inflattable kayak to take on trips. Can anyone suggest some good brands? Things I should look for, and things to avoid? I really could have used a Yak my last trip. Something that is not going to weigh a ton that could fit in a suit case. I saw Orvis just came out with one, but to me it didn't look very heavy dutry, the last thing I want is something that will pop easy. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2005, 10:09 AM
President of CAC

I saw that Orvis one as well. I am thinking of getting it for fishing the Monomoy flats... hauling it over on the ferry, then pumping it up and trailing it with me as I wade the flats or beaching it and using it ONLY to get to sand bars. It looks pretty sturdy to me for that purpose and Cheap..I think it was around $200 or 250.
Old 05-04-2005, 11:05 AM

Check these out as well if your looking at the orvis one. I would be doing what you are. Only using it to get from one sand flat to another not to fish out of.

<link removed>

Last edited by SteelBoneguy; 05-04-2005 at 02:31 PM.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:04 AM
PhlyPhishing Physician

Inflatayaks

SteelBone-sent you a PM with link to site for yak I've got- very sturdy and portable-comes in different sizes/prices.

John-talk to me before you buy the Orvis yak- I've got a very sturdy 14' inflatable sea kayak we could share on my weekends off (check out posts by member Henry from Canada- he took the smaller version of the one I have down to the Bahamas for bones-I believe he has links to his photo album for that trip in his posts). I'm kinda bummed I won't be able to make it to the Spring Clave again (always seems to be scheduled for one of my on-call weekends), but that's life in my line of work. See ya when I see ya..
Doc Shep
Old 05-14-2005, 04:31 PM
Cert. Amateur Bugslinger

The Best...

Hey, noticed there was a link removed so I don't know if I'm not going to post one but, if you do a Google search for 'the boat people' you'll find the best site I know of. Lots of good info and the straight skinny on things to look for and avoid. They also have good prices. I was looking into getting one of one of the Innova models for our (abandoned) DIY trip to Long Island, Bahamas this summer. They come in 1 or 2 person and some are even convertable. The price is great and so is the warranty. This yak will last you WAY longer than any $200 thing.

Good luck and tight lines.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.