Roadside manner? - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2005, 11:37 PM
whatchuDewinWitatBuggywip

Send a message via AIM to TheSeph
Lightbulb Roadside manner?

I consider myself a serious fly angler.
I do a lot of 'urban' fishing on the fly rod(fresh and sw). neighborhoods roadside ponds

I fish more and more alone of late.
I do so in order to focus on fishing and not on telling jokes or listening to them. ( i pay more attention and miss fewer fish when alone)

on MANY of these occasions and seemingly only when alone, more and more frequently someone in their vehicle decides that he needs to stop his car and come talk to me.
>>>enter the conundrum.
The approachee's usually (surprisingly) know at least a bit about fly fishing.
"what are you using there? a clouser?"
" you throw a nice tight loop"
" what weight rod is that?"
and various other questions supplied to establish some knowledge of the recreation
I remain polite and generally would love to talk shop with the guy but NOT while i am fishing....i admitdley and a little embarassingly feel perturbed not from his presence but only from his attempt to make small talk.....

i usually answer their questions with yes or no and basically run the guy off with my lack of enthusiams over our conversation or lack there of.....basically I come off as some JERK but i dont want to. I want to FISH now talk later.

Any advice on how to politely let the guy know i welcome his presence but tell him ''dont talk to me i'm busy!''??????

Last edited by TheSeph; 05-03-2005 at 11:39 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2005, 06:44 AM
Flats Rat

You could do one of two things:

1) Explain that you were just packing up and head off somewhere else to fish with a polite goodbye.

2) Stop fishing and just have a conversation. If you're not actually fishing, the point of interest goes away.

3) If they are genuinely interested, you might have found a new flyfishing friend - those can be some of the best you'll ever have! At least you will raise their awareness of fly fishing and their regard for the folks who practice it.

Give it time and you'll find a way to deal with it. You are going through a transition that sounds very familiar to me and possibly a lot of other folks. Fly-fishing can be very absorbing. Contemplative solitute is an important part of the experience - but not all the time. I still live in the 'real' world, and enjoy interacting with folks across a broad range of activities - especially fly fishing. In many ways that's why a lot of us come to this forum - to exchange ideas, make new friends with 'like minded' people. etc.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:15 AM

With a big friendly smile say, "Ola amigo, I no speek good eenglis"

That should do the trick, unless your new friend speaks Spanish... then you're screwed.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:27 AM

Just tap one of your ears and shrug, giving the illusion of deafness. It's not nice, but it's also not nice to disturb a fisherman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.