Texan Heads up to DC for June; Wants to Fish while there! - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2005, 09:19 PM

Exclamation Texan Heads up to DC for June; Wants to Fish while there!

Hey guys,

Well the newbie me is back on here again. I've gotten far better at this wonderful sport of fly-fishing, and I've become quite a solid caster, though admittedly my work with the heavy bass flies I tend to prefer for my favorite fish is less than spectacular. Fine with regular flies!

Anyway, this summer, for personal reasons I won't go into here, I'm going to be spending nearly the entire month of June in Washington, D.C. A job, if you will. Anyway, the way I have this deal situated is that I have Saturdays off.

I'm really wanting to know whether or not it'd be worth packing my 2 or 3 pounds of fly-fishing stuff(my rod, my reel... maybe a few flies) and taking it up there to try some of the local rivers, and the bay! Okay, now that I have all heads shaking yes...

How should I go about it? Where do you fish in DC/Maryland? It has to be somewhere a taxi can take me; since I have no Sundays truly "off", I will need to be back Saturday night.

I'm absolutely excited about what I'll be doing but I'd love to get absolutely excited about the fishing one or two Saturdays while I'm there!

So can anyone help me out? What's up there? Where to go? How to get there? What to use? What to fish for?

THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2005, 05:04 AM

Alright, change that!

I learned today that my schedule will be even tighter than that, and that I'll be on call for the month's weekends I can't be more than 30 minutes out of DC, really, and feasibly, I ought to stay inside DC.

So then, can one fish on the Potomac? Or on the little resevoir in DC(McMillan?). Isn't there another river in DC?

I'm no expert and I don't have a map with me at the moment. Is it even worth it to fish up there?
Old 05-04-2005, 06:14 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Marlin -

Not sure why some of the DC area guys haven't chimed in yet but I can tell you that in June there will be some excellent fishing in the Shenandoah River and upper Potomac for smallmouth bass.

I recently taught a spey class on the Shenandoah R. and have to say it's one of the prettiest rivers I've had the pleasure to wade in and the smallmouth bass fishing is reputed to be near legendary.

On the coast there will be lots of bluefish buzzing around and some 'rockfish' but the majority of the 2005 student body will be up around our neck of the woods, Cape Cod and north.

I am nearly as much of a casting enthusiast as a fisherman (almost) so if you do get out and cast on the reflecting pond please get a photo so I can use it as a graphic on the site! Watch out for secret service and good luck in June.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 05-04-2005, 08:34 AM

Cab fishing in DC....
That's a tough one. Right now there is a hot shad bite on the Potomac, but that will be over by the time you get there.
My recomendation is to call Anne or Newel or Grizzly @ the Angler's Lie 703 527 2524. Tell 'em I said "hi".
Old 05-04-2005, 10:45 AM
believer in the 10 oz.

There are a number of options available, however lack of transportation might pose a few problems. The upper Potomac offers reasonable wading opportunities for smallmouth and there are also a few quality trout fisheries within a thirty, forty minute drive. If renting a car is a possibility Pennsylvania contains some amazing trout fisheries; unfortunately these are a little furthur than your designated thirty minute window. These streams however are fairly easy to reach. As for the saltwater scene I would pretty much give that up. Little if any productive water is available to the shorebound angler.
Old 05-04-2005, 06:14 PM

Thumbs up

Thank you all! I'd love to cast the reflecting pool and I shall certainly try! Without a hook on it might just be possible! I could certainly call up a congressman or two that I've got light connections with to "approve" such behavior! If I bring the equipment I'll definitely look into it for ya!

Regarding the "thirty minute window"... that's a bit misleading.

I was informed a bit more specifically today, after I inquired as to exactly "how far" could I go, outside of the "reasonable distance"(and for a definition as to what this was). I was told that being on call meant, essentially, being within range of the DC Metro system.

A friend a bit later, upon my asking, told me that it runs all the way to Bethesda, Maryland! Not terribly far off but certainly farther than the DC area itself, and farther than I had anticipated when told to be "a reasonable distance" away at all times!

This leads me to assume(looking at a map, perhaps you all will understand) that the DC Metro covers a large area inside loop 495. Am I right in this regard?

If so, this opens up new possibilities.

Glad to hear about the Potomac being a great smallmouth river as well!

Thanks and keep the responses coming!
Old 05-04-2005, 06:16 PM

ONE more thing: Would it be possible to just buy a few flies in DC, are there any fly shops(is the one mentioned in DC Metro area?)?

I don't feel comfortable these days bringing flies on a plane, even in carry-on. And I really don't feel terribly comfortable bringing them inside DC, unless they are bought there. Wouldn't mind carrying them back, though.
Old 05-04-2005, 06:37 PM

WHOAAA!

I just looked up the DC Metro map and it runs all the way to ROCKVILLE, and east from there to Wheaton, to Greenbelt(covering Greenbelt lake and that branch of the Anacostia), then south to New Carollton, then eat to Largo(allowing me access to the western branch of the Patuxent), south to Hilcrest Hts. area(allowing me access to the headwater area of the Henson), southwest to Springfield-Franconia area(allowing me access to Lake Accotink, probably, and at the least the upper part of the Accotink), west to Fairfax(allowing me acces to Lake Barcroft and the Holmes).

Also seeming in reach are McMillan, Lake Bernard Frank, Dalecarlia Resevoir.....

Ahh! THERE IS fishing available!

So, what have you all to say about that!
Old 05-04-2005, 10:50 PM

I think that the resovoir is closed to recreation. The fly shop is in Alexandria. Hudson Trail sells flystuff in DC proper, but I wouldn't get fly tackle there if it was free (an exageration). I don't think that the metro gets very close to the potomac, but that is where I would concentrate my efforts. Like I said give the shop a call.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.