I feel like a traitor... - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-27-2005, 01:27 PM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
I feel like a traitor...

After years of almost exclusively fly fishing, I've found myself picking up the spinning or baitcasting rods for all of my trips lately. I started out the year with the fly rod, but after a bad day of casting out of my float tube with 15 MPH winds, I brought the bait casting rod the next time out. The 4.5 lb largemouth that took my spinnerbait got me hooked on fishing with the regular tackle again, and it's been hard to go back, especially since my season so far has been probably the most successful of my life. I've caught the biggest largemouth (2 weeks ago) and pickerel (last night) of my life already, and the season is just getting started.

I just feel like a traitor after so many years with the fly rod. But that damn float tube is just so hard to cast out of when the wind is blowing at 15 MPH across the lake, and I'm getting lazy in my old age...

I'm definitely going to use the fly rod on the flats for stripers this spring/summer though, so hopefully that will redeem me in the eyes of the fly fishing gods!!!

Does anybody else here dabble on the dark side, or do you stick with your fly rod all the time?

Last edited by teflon_jones; 04-27-2005 at 01:28 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2005, 01:39 PM
learning to fly

i guess you could say i feal the same way about spinning gear. i have always used spinning gear all my life and now i am really getting hooked on fly fishing. However i dont see the big point when someguys are so hardcore that they dont even want to hear the words " spinning gear ". when it comes right down to it, its all about fishing and doing something you love to do. someguys fish spinning gear differently but they cant say that there way is better or more right than the other guys tactics. Then there are guys that fly fish, and the way i see it, its just another way to do what we all love doing and that is catching fish.
Old 04-27-2005, 02:22 PM
Junkyard Spey

How's that again???

Quote:
I just feel like a traitor after so many years with the fly rod.
I don't think you should feel that way at all. Fishing should be about personal enjoyment. If fishing with "gear" gives you that enjoyment then by all means use "gear".
As the owner of a tiny "fly shop" I do not sell any "gear". Having said that I am not ashamed to say I have spent a great many pleasurable hours with bait casting and spinning tackle in my hands. Someone said "Life is short, enjoy the ride." This is good advice no matter what tackle choice you make.
Old 04-27-2005, 03:41 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Everyone's entitled to their own preferences... do what makes you feel good.

(just don't use the site for confession)
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 04-27-2005, 03:53 PM

Sometimes it's a matter of the right tool for the job. I don't jig cod with 10000 grain super sink line and I don't go after sunnies with a fighting belt and 50lb braid.

I stuck with the flyrod exclusively for a few years and now I'll often use what makes sense at the time. I think the boat factor is what brought me back to spin and conventional gear, it's quite common to find a situation where the water is really ripping or very deep and the fly gear just doesn't do what's needed, other times as you say it's the WIND and my lack of ability to cast in it. The kids are another factor, the spin gear is just safer and I can hand off a sacrificial rod to them when they find it harder to hook up.
Sometimes I'll stick with the fly gear even if conditions are not ideal, I don't always catch fish that way but I do usually learn something, and sometimes I get much more satisfaction out of a lesson learned than the actual catching.
Old 04-27-2005, 04:17 PM

Turn the page, dude.

People should do what they want to do and what they think is fun.

However, one will never become a better flyfisherman if one bails out to the spin gear every time the wind kicks up or conditions are not "ideal". The hardcore guys I respect the most are the ones who can come up with creative solutions and skill sets to get around nasty weather/water that would keep most guys at home in front of the TV.

These are the real hardcore flyguys - not the ones who go out and tear'em up when it's FAC or with a guide and brag about it on the interet.

Old 04-27-2005, 04:31 PM
Pencil me in.....

Getting off a good cast into the wind with a big Willowleaf Spinnerbait can be as difficult as getting rid of those tailings loops....Diversity is a challenge in itself
Old 04-27-2005, 05:42 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
'Soundz like it's time for a...

Group pink-belly intervention!
...If it doesn't kill you, it will make you stronger! (maybe)

I'm with Big Dave on this one...
Old 04-27-2005, 09:17 PM
I remember sometimes...,

Talking

Hey Pedro,
How do you think Walt and I have been catching the smallmouths.., Do what FEELS GOOD! It's all fishing and that beats work anyday!
See you in a few weeks.
DK
Old 04-28-2005, 07:02 AM

I agree with the consensus here. While I enjoy fly fishing and do very little spin fishing, the bottom line is that I enjoy fishing, period.

When you fish in salt water for stripers or bone fish and the wind is an issue, spin fishing becomes not only practical but also poses less of a "hazard" then throwing flies. I also believe that when you are taking someone who is not an experienced fly angler out the best thing you can do is make them comfortable with fishing. If they are struggling with casting distance and/or accuracy, breaking out a spinning rod is the trick to making them feel comfortable.

I used spinning gear last year for a little while during one of my striper trips because after 4 hours of throwing flies into a stiff wind my arm was ready for a break (I had to keep it in tip-top shape for my salmon fishing!) I also like to fish mackerel with my kids in Quebec and it is not practical to fly fish on a boat with the kids.

Bill Greiner
Old 04-28-2005, 12:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
Well, thanks for your thoughts, but my fly fishing gear keeps giving me nasty looks every time I leave it behind. I think it's plotting a coup... One of these days I'm going to come home to bits and pieces of my spinning rods scattered around the basement...

Juro, if I can't confess here, where can I? Fishing is my religion!

I've been focused on fly fishing for about 17 years now and probably have done 90+% fly fishing over that time. My great success in the numbers of fish I was catching kept me at it and I never wanted to go back to the spinning gear, but I've never caught such big fish as I have so far this year. I think I need to find some magic that will get me those big fish on my fly rod so I can go back to my true love.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:27 PM

I love flyfishing, but nothing quite beats bouncing a bucktail jig along the rocks in fifteen foot of water for hefty bronzebacks. Flyrod, or spinning rod, the moment is the same.......uncertainty at the end of a line.

"No one can tell what a spot of time is until suddenly the whole world is a fish and the fish is gone."

- Norman Maclean
Old 04-28-2005, 04:31 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by teflon_jones
Juro, if I can't confess here, where can I? Fishing is my religion!
There are may houses in which you may choose to "worship" but when you enter one you agree to honor it's ways.

This is a house of flyfishing.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 04-28-2005, 08:50 PM

I'd like to say I appreciate this thread. Even though it's about spin-fishing it is in the context of fly-fishing. I do not think it is out of place here.
That being said, what, teflon, are you doing with your spin stuff that is different from what you do with a flyrod? I suggest you try to replicate what you are doing on a spinner with a fly. I have incorporated this thinking into flyfishing many times, and it often works. I think of that Popovics fly that he based on a classic yellow plug. It's all fishing and they all influence each other. I can remember on the few times I've spinfished in that last several years tying on a muddler minnow with a splitshot. It ain't all black and white.
My point is to funnel your knowledge from the GEAR to you what you do with a fly.
And tough it out like BigDave says.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:09 PM

i always bring a spinning rod with me for a just in case, wether if it is impossible casting with a single handed rod or if one of the rods breaks

if you like bassfishing, use a fly called a coyote. it has a lil spinner on it and kills bass in shallow water

Last edited by tbeez41; 04-28-2005 at 11:10 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.