sandeel 101 - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-26-2005, 03:28 PM
6th Year Apprentice

sandeel 101

evening Chaps,

ahead of our trip to Monomoy/South beach i have a couple of questions :

1. sparse- ness :

how sparse is sparse ? is it possible for flats fish patterns to go too sparse with the eel patterns ? - i'm tying clousers, bendbacks, sili-skin sandeels as i would for our bass. just a pinch of each colour but 4 to 5 inches long. we usually use bucktail in shorter lengths but these flies look very sparse to me....

2. light and colour (color ) :

i'm tying the above patterns in olive and white, olive and smoke, tan and white, tan and smoke, gold and white etc - do you have any preferences for fly colour in various light conditions i.e bright sun, overcast etc. basically when should i best fish each combination ?

cheers

Mark.

ps - just in case you're wondering, we return all our bass and we will treat your bass with the same respect - C&R only guys.

Last edited by Guernseybass; 04-26-2005 at 03:30 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2005, 04:34 PM

I wouldn't be too concerned about making your flies ultra-sparse for May-June fish. You can do quite well on standard issue clousers that time of year. I reserve the tiny/sparse flies for jul/aug when the fish have seen it all and are focused on the micro-forage that predominates the flat. Even then, a big fly can be a wake-up call for fussy fish.

I would carry eel patterns from size 2-4, both weighted and unweighted and you should be fine. I think all the colors you listed are good for any condition. You may want some bigger, brighter flies/gurglers/etc if you choose to fish the surf or at low light.
Old 04-26-2005, 05:00 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
If all else fails...

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=chatha...1672&t=k&hl=en

I live in Yarmouth...not too far from Elbowtown (Chatham) and Striperland...
The Area61 bunker is full of vises and stuff to tye with...
My vice is your vice!
You "Cousins" from over there are welcome to visit and play with fur and feathers...
BYOB...
Old 04-27-2005, 01:16 AM
Frustrated English SWFF

Keep feeding that advice guys, it's much appreciated !
You can only immagine the excitement thats building up

Pete, as one of the UK mob, i can say your offer is very kind....you might end up with a house full

Looking forward to meeting as many of you we can.....and as many of your Bass (Stripers, thanks Jamie ) as is possible

Dave

Last edited by clouser UK; 04-27-2005 at 01:25 PM.
Old 04-27-2005, 04:02 AM

Send a message via MSN to jamie Send a message via Skype™ to jamie
Wink Don't mention the war - any of them.

Chaps,

We do not want to stand out too much whilst we are visiting the colony. We need to try and blend in.

First, they are Striper (pronounced Stryp-ars) not bass.
Second, we need to loose that wanton 1000 yard stare we have developed from prolonged periods of fruitlessly flogging the brine. Think snake eyes a la Blondie in that cultural classic “The Good, The Bad and The Ugly” (bagsie Eli Wallach). Our cousins actually have fish and do not have to imagine them.
Thirdly, we need to start to cast at a more jaunty angle, none of that 90 degrees upright stance, and chanting “God save the Queen” to time the pause when false casting (“God bless America” is acceptable, should you require an alternative to measure the pause). An angle between 30 and 50 degrees to the horizon is acceptable; angles between 50 and 90 degrees will attract attention.
Fourth, do not stare when Juro is seen totting a ‘spey’ rod. Comments about salmon and sea trout (they call them Steelhead) will be misunderstood.
Five, Do not make any mention about Benedict Arnold coming to his senses too late. What a waste of tea there was on December the 16th 1776 and how the events of that day brought about a scandalous increase in the price of tea. And that strategic retreat in York Town in 1781, should be referred to as ‘our boy getting a whopping’.
Six, if you require a cigarette to not ask for a ‘fag’, this has a somewhat different meaning over there, and you risk potential prosecution in some parts of the State, whilst in others you risk drawing undesired attention.
Seven, try not to snigger if you hear reference to a ‘fanny pack’ it is quite an innocent referral to an item of personal luggage.
Eight, the natives have somewhat developed culturally over the last few hundred years and offers of beads and shiny, but inexpensive items whilst being politely received will not buy much good will. Cigars and Single Malt Scotch are accepted currency.

We have a responsibility to the Queen to maintain the entente cordial between our nations and ensure that when our Prime Minister want to attend on the President with his begging bowl and make like his pet dog, the natives do not have their back up.

I will provide further notes on cultural integration to this very alien species in due course.
Old 04-27-2005, 07:43 AM

AND....remember....tea is served promptly at 10 a.m. on the flats of Monomoy by the locals.......NOT!!!
Seriously...am looking forward to meeting our fly fishing brothers from the other side of the pond.
Ron
Old 04-27-2005, 08:31 AM

Send a message via MSN to jamie Send a message via Skype™ to jamie
Sugar or Lemon?

Ron, I can picture you now, with a dainty china tea cup with your pinky saluting with the official pose Remember sip not slurp
Old 04-27-2005, 09:24 AM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
here in rude taxachusetts...

...it's not the extended pinky finger that you must be on the lookout for and deal with.
The warm friendly nature of the natives can be misinterpreted when you fail to let them cut you off while driving or when they decide that you have inadvertently disrespected them in spite of their egocentonic moronic behavior...
...all part of the grande adventure!

ps
remember to drive on the "other" side!
Old 04-27-2005, 09:39 AM

Jamie...Thank God I have a few weeks to practice extending my "pinky"....as I drive often in Boston, it is not the digit that I am used to extending. But fret not...I will master this new function by the time you all arrive.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:44 AM
President of CAC

One other thing... The boat over to South beach or Monomoy is called a "ferry"..NOT "Taxi". If you ask for the location of the Taxi you will be met with shugs of the shoulder and quizzical looks... they will send you downtown in the opposite direction.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:58 AM
Middle Aged Member

Quote:
ps
remember to drive on the "other" side!
...and the person in the rotary (roundabout?) has the right of way, unless you're in Jersey. In Jersey the person entering the rotary has the right of way so you could be stuck going in circles for the duration of your stay.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:24 AM
6th Year Apprentice

thanks for the help guys, and Jamie too.

You should be able tell us from a distance - we'll be the guys in the Sage Bowler hats :

"I say old chap, is that a Stry-per Blitz ? - best get the jolly old nine weight out"

Mark
Old 04-27-2005, 11:37 AM
President of CAC

Well...ok...but you will be required to wear a Fez at CAC...only temporarily.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:01 PM
deeply obsessed fly-guy

sandeel 101

Fred, Fred, Fred...

How many times do I have to tell you that in Joisey, EVERYBODY has the right of way in a traffic circle. Or at least they drive that way.

And no signals, thank you very much. They only give away your intentions to the enemy.

Best regards,

-Doc
Old 04-27-2005, 01:42 PM

When you guys see the Mayor of Mononomy, the Iron man you'll think you ran into a retired Viceroy just back from India. Waxed mustach and all .
FishHawk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.