Nymphing Tactics - Fly Fishing Forum
The Quintessential Trout Trout angling is the core of flyfishing worldwide.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-26-2005, 10:19 AM

Nymphing Tactics

Inevitably, especially early in the season, slow pools and runs come at a premium. Most fisherman know where they are and they flock there to fish. Half the enjoyment for me is the solitude of having a stretch of stream to myself; and this means fishing the riffles and faster runs where many fisherman won't bother visiting. The downside is the fishing is downright difficult. Keeping your fly down and ahead of your line as well as detecting subtle strikes can be very frustrating.

I was wondering if some of you would be kind enough to share your tactics for nymphing these "faster" runs. Thanks in advance for your knowledge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2005, 10:57 AM

I like to short-line or "high stick" riffles, constantly adjusting my weight and strike indicator until I feel my flies are ticking along the bottom. You can detect short strikes better this way and keep the drift drag free.

I prefer to fish riffles and pocket water to slow pools whenever possible. The fish are more turned on and don't have all day to inspect your fly before taking.

Where do you fish in PA? I will be in Centre county next week.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:24 PM

Why not run a streamer or a wet fly through that water instead?
Old 04-26-2005, 03:02 PM

Big Dave,

I live near Reading and fish the Tulpehocken, French, Brandywine, Hay and other local creeks. I am trying to make a trip once a year to some more well known streams. Last fall I was lucky enough to hit Yellow Breeches and Falling Springs. However, in my limited travels, by far the most enjoyable trip was to Pine Creek in North Central PA. A couple years back I traveled up there with my wife and kids around Memorial Day weekend hoping to catch the Green Drake hatch. Needless to say, the emergence had made its way further north, but the scenery was fantastic and there were scores of other mayflies coming off the water. A very memorable trip.
Old 04-29-2005, 12:17 AM

sinking leader with a wet fly works well for me in shallower fast riffles. cast perpendicular to the water, let it drift down a lil then move the rod tip up and down a few times . my favorite fly for this would be lafontaines sparkle pupa
Old 04-29-2005, 04:53 PM
Pullin' Thread

solitude,

I grew up in Schulkill County and left in 1979 at age 25 when I moved to Montana and then to Washington State and fished the Tulpehocken many times with my father because we had relatives in Reading. Instead of fishing a nymph, why not fish some of the classic wet flies of the region like the Dark Cahill, Light Cahill, Hare's Ear, Black Prince, Iron Blue, Black Gnat, Coachman, etc. or the Leisenring soft hackles? They are very effective, especially if you fish 2 or 3 at the same time as droppers, and don't require you to detect the strike since they are "worked" as they swing through. Peter's suggestion of a small #12 streamer (especially a black nosed dace, dark olive bodied woolley bugger, or micky finn) also work very well in those waters.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.