Omega Pond Herring run - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-19-2005, 11:37 AM

Angry Omega Pond Herring run

To whom it may concern, I though a couple of years ago that a fish ladder at Omega Pond was in the works, and a bond issue was voted on by the people that included a fish ladder. http://204.139.0.230/news/2001/pr/0425011.htm After seeing about the accesses being closed, because of dumping, partying, and vandalism it has been shutdown. I have been in conmmunication with The East Providence Waterfront Director, the Conservation Comission, and the Planning. I haven't bothered with the state as I have tried on other issues without one answer. It shows that they only care about building expensive condos on the Ocean State Steel Properties which is the site of access to the Omega Pond Dam. This is a rotten shame. It is not about fishing in the spring it is about perpetuating the run of the herring for years to come. If access is denied, which it is, today. The herring will not be able to spawn in the fresh water between the Turner Reservoir Dam and the Omega Pond. If the herring can't climb the dam, and no one is allowed there the run will die. Fishing the upper Narragansett Bay also will die fish go were there is food, no food they also will die. Just an old man discussed with the way the State of RI continues their downhill ride on the Conservation trail. I have contacted Tom Meade, no reply, contacted Steve Mederios of RISAA, no reply, RI DEM is useless they can't even answer a saltwater access question, I might as well take drinking, atleast then I can get a jag on and have a false happy feeling. No one seems to care. It is supose to be an approved project and no one gives me an answer, the news media says there is not enough people interested to get involved.

Last edited by artb; 04-19-2005 at 11:38 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2005, 12:31 PM
Flats Rat

Hey Art

First off, how are you doing? Hopefully making good progress and loking forward to getting out on the water soon.

Thank's for posting this here. My knowledge of RI history is very limited and I wasn't even aware that there was such a proposal. I'm guessing that this is the case for a lot of anglers. Now that it's here lets get things moving:

Letters, emails, phone calls to local state and federal contacts etc.....

If it's o.k. with you I'm going to copy your post over to the Striper moon site - lots of RI guys there as you'll recall.
Old 04-19-2005, 01:47 PM

Adrian, I am OK , butI am not getting any mellower. Things that are happening here in RI bother me a lot, and if allowed to continue my great grand children won't be able to go fishing or hunting in the State of RI. It is not very good when nothing gets done anymore.
I am trying to get some of the City Officials to at least talk to me. It is not about fishing it is about conservation.
I still limp, but I get around, and someday we will meet up again. Thanks for showing some interest. It is not about glory it is about what is right.
Even though I have a problem with Ken it is still about what needs to be done without personalities.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:24 PM

Art,

First, Glad you are feeling better.

Second, why don't you e-mail that response (position) to the Providence Journal to the editor. Many more readers and activist may see it. It could raise some hackles. May bring it to the public spotlight again.

It's a real shame that herring run project should have been completed years ago. when it was approved.

Other question is, "Where's the money."
Old 04-19-2005, 11:57 PM
CantAnchorUs

The money is probably in the same place as the funds for the dredging at the breachways. The whole plan for the revitalization of the south county salt ponds came to a screeching halt when the money simply disappeared.
Slinger
Old 04-20-2005, 09:49 AM

Art, have you tried contacting the folks at Save the Bay. They may have an interest in it.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:54 AM

The latest

I have been in contact with many people about the access to the Omega Pond dam. I might be able to get an access to the dam during the month of May, but only for the sole purpose of raising herring over the dam. Fishing access perhaps would come later perhaps if it is done right. I am only one old man trying to give the herring run active for the future. I hope to meet with a City official of East Providence next week. He doesn't know this yet. I would like to have a list of those that are interested, and can during the week,be available to lift herring.

Last edited by artb; 04-21-2005 at 05:56 AM. Reason: addition
Old 04-25-2005, 05:59 AM

No Interest?

I have posted on three sites, and there appears to be not much interest in the Omega Pond herring run, as to how it can be continued. Even the fishermen from RI do not appear at all interested. I am meeting sometime this week to see if something can be done. The officials have already asked me about how many people are involved. Raised eyebrows when I say one as of now. It appears I am the only one interested enough to fight the State, and the City about this, although I might have gotten Rhode Island Saltwater Anglers Association involved, as The President has e-mailed several high officals in the State, have to see what the answers are. My last post on this subject as there is no interest in the RI fishery. People like to fish the bay, but are not interested in the fishery

Last edited by artb; 04-25-2005 at 06:03 AM. Reason: error

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.