A crappie morning - Fly Fishing Forum
Warmwater flyfishing Bass, pike and even muskies in your backyard

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-17-2005, 04:35 PM
Fly chucker

A crappie morning

Anne and I arrived at a small local lake by mid morning, and for the first half hour we didn't even have a whiff of a fish. And then at 10:30, it was like someone had flipped a switch and what seem to be every crappie in the water was within casting distance of the boat. Must have been something about sunlight warming the water for the first few hours of daylight.....

Net result was many crappie and one beligerent pickeral who seemed bent on keeping my fly. He should have known better.

A beautiful day, all around.
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2005, 06:59 PM
_

Nice! Crappie are loads of fun on the flyrod. When they're aggressive you can get multiple hits and hookups on each cast. Sounds like a great day!

I fished the Housy backwaters again. Water level is back to normal. Had a swipe from a mini pike on my first cast with the pike fly. Hooked a bigger one (maybe 24") a while later and got it to the boat but it came off the hook when I tried to get the camera out. Also got a few perch, 2 of which hit my pike fly . Saw 2 other small pike but that was it. Pretty slow for the most part.

Q
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2005, 09:28 PM
Fly chucker

I love it when fish try to bite flies that are their own size.

Things are definitely warming up in New England, and the salt should soon follow.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.