Fly Fishing Forum banner

2001-The Year of the Holdover

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  TinMan 
#1 ·
Was up in Andover on an errand at lunch. Stopped at the Shawsheen to inspect. I could not believe how cold the water was! Level was healthy too. I predict a strong holdover trout season next year. I'll bet one could grab some nice browns now evan. But who would turn away from the salt for trout in August?

TerryW

#2 ·
Mee... I'm starting to itch for some 5 wt action, if only to get away from the 'Vineyard sound slams'. been thinking aobut spending a day on the deerfield this weekend, but the water flows are intimidating. Where can a guy go to catch a trout in peace this time of year?

#3 ·
Nate reports that the flows were out of proportion recently, I wonder if the Quinipoxet or other rivers on the way up would feed those jones? There are a couple folks I know from Deerfield country and it might be worth my asking them for a report.

I know that the out-of-state licenses are steep but there is plenty of awesome trout action up in NH... upper Souhegan is not a long drive, heading further on the west side of the Kancamagus are the Swift, Sugar, Ammonousic (sp?) and the Pemmigewasset with the upper Saco in the middle. All are premier trout streams if you had a way to float a stretch to get away from the yahoos. I'd be happy to loan you my Buck's Bag bronco, one-man whitewater pontoon boat if you could find a shuttle driver or if you have a lucky thumb.

In MA the cape kettle ponds are probably still surrendering a trout or two to predawn nymphers near dropoffs, not to mention some husky summer bronzebacks.

Josko, why don't you come out to the pacific northwest with me end of September? 8wt or higher though!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.