heck of a day! caught too many to count! - Fly Fishing Forum
Warmwater flyfishing Bass, pike and even muskies in your backyard

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-14-2005, 02:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
heck of a day! caught too many to count!

Well, first of all, I wasn't fly fishing. Sorry! I took the day off work for some fishing yesterday, and I needed to cover a lot of water since I don't know where the fish are in this 200+ acre lake this time of year. It's all the same depth so they could be anywhere! Plus the wind really blows across this lake a lot, so fly casting from the float tube can get downright dangerous! So, the fly rod was out. I was out for 4 hours in the morning from 6:15-10:15 with not even a strike, but I did get darn cold. I then went back at about 1 pm, and decided to try out a new Rapala shallow shad rap I picked up this winter. Well, I'm glad I did! This is a super weedy lake and there's a ton of pickerel, and I finally left at 6:15 because I was tired of unhooking the slimy little buggers! I only used the one lure all night, and I tallied up 7 bass landed and more pickerel than I can even count (at least 20). The largest bass was 16.5" and a bit over 2 lbs, and the smallest 12". The largest pickerel was 18+", and there were at least 6-8 of them that were 17+ (I got tired of measuring them). I was fishing the bait like a jerk bait the whole time.

Oh, and on Sunday night, I landed a 20.5" ~5 lb bass on a black spinnerbait.

Sorry it's not a fly fishing report, but sometimes I need to use spinning (or in this case baitcasting) tackle too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2005, 03:05 PM
learning to fly

well i am glad to know some of us on here still use spinning gear at times. Sounds like a great day, well afternoon i guess. some of you guys are lucky to have your season all ready open. here is a picture i found from a guy in Nova Scotia. not sure if these brookies were caught on fly rod or not though. these fish were apparently caught this past weekend. all 3 are nice in my books.

nate
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	post-11-1113344476.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	4710  
Old 04-14-2005, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teflon_jones
I took the day off work for some fishing yesterday, and I needed to cover a lot of water since I don't know where the fish are in this 200+ acre lake this time of year. It's all the same depth so they could be anywhere! Plus the wind really blows across this lake a lot, so fly casting from the float tube can get downright dangerous! So, the fly rod was out. I was out for 4 hours in the morning from 6:15-10:15 with not even a strike, but I did get darn cold. I then went back at about 1 pm, and decided to try out a new Rapala shallow shad rap I picked up this winter. Well, I'm glad I did! This is a super weedy lake and there's a ton of pickerel, and I finally left at 6:15 because I was tired of unhooking the slimy little buggers! I only used the one lure all night, and I tallied up 7 bass landed and more pickerel than I can even count (at least 20). The largest bass was 16.5" and a bit over 2 lbs, and the smallest 12". The largest pickerel was 18+", and there were at least 6-8 of them that were 17+ (I got tired of measuring them). I was fishing the bait like a jerk bait the whole time.

Oh, and on Sunday night, I landed a 20.5" ~5 lb bass on a black spinnerbait.

Sorry it's not a fly fishing report, but sometimes I need to use spinning (or in this case baitcasting) tackle too!
Funny how all those stats couldn't get me as excited as someone saying "I got one nice fish on a fly I tied myself today. My cast was tight for having been a long winter, and it was good to feel spring in the air again".

To each his own I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2005, 07:02 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
Quote:
Originally Posted by chromer
Funny how all those stats couldn't get me as excited as someone saying "I got one nice fish on a fly I tied myself today. My cast was tight for having been a long winter, and it was good to feel spring in the air again".

To each his own I guess.
Well, I've already done that too! I got 3 fish on flies I tied myself one day last week, right where somebody with live bait hadn't gotten a bite. And the day after that, I hooked a couple more on another fly I had tied based on my success the previous day.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:39 AM
learning to fly

wow, i can only imagine that there must be a greater degree of satisfaction when you catch a nice fish on a fly that you have tied yourself. I know i would be very proud.
last year i noticed a certian fly that was landing on the water while we were getting ready to fly fish. this fly would land on the water, float down through a nice hole and not once did i see any fly of that type get buy that hole before it was taken under buy a trout. our flies we were using did not match up with that certian fly but they still worked well. I remember thinking how cool it would be to go home, and tie a fly to match that one and see what happens.
Old 04-23-2005, 05:03 AM

tying flies

It;s a great thrill catching fish on one;s tied flies.
And it;s a thrill anyone could have. Francis Betters said--"anyone that can tie their shoes can tie flies".
There are many good fly shops and quite a few knowlegdeable people about who could help. Alos the vast number of books with info.
If you have the desire to tie---I suggest looking into trout unlimited or any other org. that offers an insructional class. It;s a lot better to see some thing s done rather than trying to discern from a book. Go for it----but beware -addictions become afflictions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.