panfish on fly rod??? - Fly Fishing Forum
Warmwater flyfishing Bass, pike and even muskies in your backyard

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-13-2005, 09:53 PM
learning to fly

panfish on fly rod???

occasionally i like to take the gf out in the canoe on a warm summer day. she likes to fish but isnt into anything crazy so i ussually just go to some dead water and we have fun catching perch, and smaller bass and sun fish. i am thinking about taking the fly rod along with me the next time we go out. it will give me a chance to practice fly fishing (i am a newbie) and at the same time have a nice relaxing day with the gf. I am thinking that this also may be a good time for me to try nymphs. any thoughts on what to try, or what not to try?

thanks, nate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2005, 10:05 PM
tubin' for a bruisin'

Send a message via AIM to flyjkol
Thumbs up

sounds like loads of fun!

for panfish bright and flashy colors do wonders, and when the conditions are right tiny poppers are the most fun and addicting way to catch them.

As for specific patterns flash-back hares ear would be good if you want to try nymphs. Other than that my favorites include the standard "bumble bee" wet fly and a sponge spider.
Old 04-14-2005, 02:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
My favorites for panfish and perch are streamers. A #6 or 8 Hornberg is the best thing, and I've caught some nice pickerel and bass on them too, so that's a nice bonus! If you don't have a Hornberg, panfish will hit pretty much any pattern. With perch, just fish it quickly and they'll chase it. I get sick of catching perch because they're so easy on a fly rod. It's not unusual for me to catch 30+ of them before I get tired of it, many of them on consecutive casts. For the panfish, fish slower, and don't let them look at the fly too close. If they're eyeballing it too long, it means they're not going to hit it. If that's the case, twitch the fly in the water and they'll usually hit it!
Old 04-14-2005, 06:30 PM
_

My favorite way to catch panfish in the summertime is with floating foam ants/beetles. You can sit in the shade under a tree, roll out a few feet of line or stick the rod out and dapple the fly on the surface and wait for the sunnies to smack the fly. Easy, fun and effective!

Q
Old 04-25-2005, 05:54 PM
Fly Fishing Newbie

I love the basic dry flis tied in black and white combos, so productive around here. Most dry flys will draw apppeal same with the Hares Ear Nymph. I would definately try the nymphs, tho personally I like to lessen the weight in mine while panfishing.

Youll Have fun, thier a good amount of fun on a 5 wt, i cant imagine a 2 or 3 wieght. Best of luck m8.
Old 05-01-2005, 09:06 PM

A black and red gnat does wonders for me.

Also, remember that if you can't get the panfish to see your fly, or if they are facing away from the fly(this is if you can see them), all you've got to do is pull the fly out in front of them they don't care. They'll bite anything, natural or otherwise.

Sounds like a great way to spend time with your girl!
Old 05-03-2005, 12:20 PM

Yesterday I got about 10 panfish on a coachman wet fly fished sometimes like a streamer, sometimes like god only knows what. But the fish liked it anyway! I've honestly had luck with panfish on just about any fly known to man. They're really aggressive, hungry fish and they'll eat anything!
Old 05-19-2005, 01:35 PM

A foam beetle with an orange/pink/yellow spot will soon become your best friend. tough, high-floatin', easy to cast and easy to spot. Bass like 'em too.

My grandad always said that anyone who can hook 75% of the bluegills that hit the fly will never miss a trout.

lf
Old 05-19-2005, 02:38 PM

Wink great times

i have a brother that has a 2 year old kid now and a 6 mounth old wich i will have to teach them how to fly fish sooner or later. any ways my favorite fly for pans is a rubber leg spider. it tyed on a size 14 dry fly hook and i use bright colors for the body and legs. i use a marker to color the tips of the legs like yellow rubber and red tips etc.. body is made out of 1/8 inch foam rubber in bright colors. they can be found at wallmarts and k marts etc in the sporrting goods section of some stores. me i dont like buying my flies so i tye my owen it is a lot of fun this way if you tye you can get a copie for your self to tye

good luck and screaming drags stonefly1013 ...........
Old 05-19-2005, 03:56 PM
learning to fly

well soon i should get out to do some fishing for pan fish. lots of high water this spring and the water is finally on its way down. looks like i good choice is somethign bright, i am gonna try and get some of them foam spiders to try as well as some poopers. i just got a 5 wt rod yesturday which will really make it fun catching the smaller fish. thanks for all the hints guys.

nate
Old 05-23-2005, 08:18 AM

Keep in mind that your hookup ratio will be a lot lower with floating flies versus sub-surface stuff. Panfish have small mouths and sip at the flies so getting a good hookup can be difficult. It is fun to see them smack at 'em though! If you want some surface action with better hookup ratios then you can just fish a small dry fly on the surface. Panfish are very opportunistic feeders and will hit just about any pattern you throw at them!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.