Stupid Question about LEADERS - Fly Fishing Forum
Getting Started The only dumb question is the one not asked

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-17-2005, 08:48 PM

Stupid Question about LEADERS

Hello all,

Since I last posted I have gone to Bass Pro Shops and purchased assorted bass flies, a $270 rod/reel setup, and a video. I have caught a 5 pound bass, 3 pound bass(both from about the same spot in this shallow little creek), and more bluegill than I can stand throwing back(and some good-sized ones, too).

So, my question:

The rod and line is 8wt, weight forward. Though the guy at Bass Pro filled me in on all fundamentals I didn't already know, one thing he left out and I found myself wondering about was exactly what kind of leader to use!

For bluegill, what to use? And for bass/carp/larger fish etc. what to use?

The nice fellow at BPS tied on a 50-lb line from the fly line to the leader that is a loop, making changing leaders a snap.

I mean I see 8x, 7x, etc. and don't know how this corresponds to rod wt.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2005, 09:27 PM
Fly chucker

Leader size doesn't necessarily correlate to rod weight. For the type of fishing that you seem to be doing, you can go a bit on the heavy side.

To construct a leader, use the 60-20-20 rule, where 60% of the leader's length is the butt section, the next 20% is of an intermediate weight, and the last 20% is the tippet. For the type of fishing that you've described, using 30, 20, and 10 pound test should suffice for the sections of 60, 20 and 20%.

This is a general guideline and should be used as such, but you certainly don't need trout tippets down in the 7x range.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:44 PM

If you are going to be purchasing tapered leaders you may be able to find a "bass taper" or a "bluegill taper" type leader. Depending on what type of flies you are fishing for the largemouth you may need something fairly "stiff" in order to turn over the large wind resistant poppers etc. So if you are going to tie your own following the earlier posts formula I recommend something like Maxima or Mason for your material. If you cant find a bass taper try a "bonefish taper" which should be plenty long, strong and stiff. Depending on the type of cover you are fishing and the water clarity I think I would start somewhere around a 9' 0X tapered leader. Buy yourself a spool of 0X tippett and add a foot or two of tippett to the end of the leader. This will give you longer leader life and a little more distance from your fly line to fly. Attach with a blood knot or a double surgeons knot. For bluegill I would think a 9' 4X again with an extra foot or two of added 4X tippet would be a good start.

Nice bass by the way!

Chris
Old 04-18-2005, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLGator
If you are going to be purchasing tapered leaders you may be able to find a "bass taper" or a "bluegill taper" type leader. Depending on what type of flies you are fishing for the largemouth you may need something fairly "stiff" in order to turn over the large wind resistant poppers etc.
You are telling me!

Some of the flies I ended up driving away with, such as a few sliders and this one nice diver, absolutely could not be cast in any normal fashion due to the thinness of the leader. I could not cast without having a giant amount of tension from the fly line to the lure.

The problem becomes, I don't readily have access to some line of that strength....

Maybe my next trip to Bass Pro I will stock up on some good line and perhaps they will have bass/panfish leaders there. I didn't take as much time to look around last time as I really wanted to.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.