Best place for trout - Fly Fishing Forum
The Quintessential Trout Trout angling is the core of flyfishing worldwide.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-26-2000, 06:23 PM

Best place for trout

I want to take a trip to do some trout fishing. I was wondering what everyone thought the best place to go in the is. I think I am going to Washington State this fall so other then that. I am thinking

Green River, UT
Colorado River, Co
Montana
California

Also does anyone know any good guides in these places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2000, 04:27 PM

RE:Best place for trout

Nathan,

My two favorite places to fish for trout are the Crooked river outside Prineville, Oregon - I don't know that it can be beat for numbers - and Rock Creek outside Missoula, Montana - A superb fishery with great numbers of LARGE rainbows in fast water.

In both places I have had the best luck on nymphs but the Rock Creek rainbows seem to be regularly cooperative on dries especially during the salmon fly hatch in late May and June.

As far as guides go I don't think you really need one for either of these waters if you know anything about trout fishing, and I know you do. If you decide on either of these let me know and I'll give you an "insiders" view.

Gregg
Old 06-27-2000, 08:07 PM

RE:Best place for trout

Nathan,

I'll place my vote with the state of Idaho. <b>S.F. Boise</b>, Big Wood, Silver Creek, S.F. Snake - (Last Chance, ID on down thru Ashton). You could do the swing from west to east, and then head on up to the Gallatin River Valley. If time permits head northwest and hit the Missoula area. To me that would constitute a marvelous camping and fishing vacation. You'd hit some wonderful areas and fish some spectacular waters - many considered world-class. Idaho offers plenty of free camping opportunities and if you timed it right you could hit the hopper season and be into some very consistent fishing. Good luck with your choice. BTW - guides are not necessary on the Wood, Silver Creek or SF Boise - a good shop (or email me) should help there. It would be nice to float some of the SF Snake as a boat allows you to cover a lot of water and would probably enhance the experience.

Pete

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.