Ft Lauderdale - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2005, 09:41 PM

Ft Lauderdale

My brother is heading to Ft Lauderdale to visit the inlaws for a week during the last part of May. Aparently they live right on the intercoastal waterway and he is looking to do a little fishing while he is there.

Any recommendations in terms of species, tackle, flies and/or guides in the area?

Thanks in advance,
Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2005, 06:56 AM

I was in Ft Lauderdale last week with the family. Fly fishing right in or very close to town is limited. I did not try for them but the canals do have peacock bass. They also run drift trips from Ft L but we did not do that either. I found flats fishing just south of MacAuthur park in Palm Beach. That would possible be the best close place to try. I also fished the Keys but that is a 2 hour drive. There is a good book Fly Fishing the South Atlantic Coast by Jacobs that lead me to a few good less well known spots.
Old 04-10-2005, 07:23 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I used to go to FLL every year for a company mtg. If you wanted to stay around the neighborhood, a small skiff or even a canoe is required to cover the waterway. Mostly drum, ladyfish, reds, trout (weakfish), small bluefish, snook even some small tarpon on occasion depending on where you are on the waterway and what it's influence from the ocean or other canals is/are.

I ended up driving to the keys, which is pretty cool fishing especially if you hook up with a guide with local knowledge and a flats boat. I also caught bones up to 8 lbs on my own although it's limited where such opportunities can be found.

My favorite area is down around Bahia Honda State Park, inside the park and sneak around outside as well.

Good luck.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.