Fly line changer - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2005, 08:04 PM

Thumbs down Fly line changer

Has anyone heard of this product? (guiderunner) I keep hearing more and more about it. I guess its fairly new. Its supposed to help you change your fly lines faster. Anyways, I was just wondering if any of you guys had ever used one, and had good success with it. I'm almost thinking I should just buy one and try it out for the little money you spend.

Let me know what you think...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2005, 10:48 PM

I use something else to change my lines... it's called the free spool that lines come on!

Sounds like another useless product to me.
Old 04-21-2005, 02:48 AM

Hmmm, maybe?

Sometimes after paddling out to the middle of the lake and fishing for awhile I realize I should have on an intermediate or full sinking line instead of a floating line. How does the free spool that the line comes on help me in the middle of the lake? As I understand it this GuideRunner thing lets me change spools and rethread my rod without going back to shore.
Old 04-21-2005, 01:06 PM
Fly chucker

I'm curious as to why you are giving a thumbs down to a product that you have never tried. Are you going by someone else's opinion?
Old 04-25-2005, 01:58 AM

I didnt mean to

I didnt mean to give it a thumbs down. At the time, I thought it was a big red question mark. Is there anyway I can change it?

Thanks

Komatsukid
Old 04-29-2005, 01:00 AM

rio makes a product called the linewider. its great, small and compact and stores your line without it getting tangled up. you will however have to do some cranking. and as of april, from what i heard rio wont be making them again for a while.
Old 05-27-2005, 10:14 AM

I use an extra spool for my reel. I carry a floating line and a sinking line. Takes me about 7 minutes to swap.

perhaps your reel company provides extra spools?

lf
Old 06-20-2005, 03:28 PM
Limpe

Send a message via ICQ to Limpe Send a message via MSN to Limpe
I think the product Komatsukid describes has some potential, altough with a piece of wire, rope or nylon you can do the trick...

Try to imagine you're a short armed fella in the middle of a lake padlling your rubber fins around, you didn't get a strike for hours so you decide to change to either a floating, intermediate or sinking line (doesn't matter, point is you want to change lines)..
So, you wind up all the line you where using, take that spool off the reel, change it for the spare spool with the line you want to start using..you'll do fine the first 3 or 4 lineguides untill you run out of arm...
Last thing you'd want is to drop that fishing rod into the depths....you could consider taking the rod apart and guide the new line trough the lineguides and assemble it all....line all over the place, twisted around the rod so you can start all over again...

the product komatsukid describes does nothing more than guiding the line trough the eyes....you start winding up your line you want to change, connect the end of the tippet on the product, a piece of wire comes out of this thing on wich you attach the line you want to use, wind up the wire and presto.....new line is guided trough the guides.....like i stated any piece of wire or nylon will do this trick.

IMHO it has got nothing to do with spooling a line onto a spool you where using, the product is just made for guiding a line trough the guides when you are in a situation where you just cannot put your rod on the ground and walk circles around it...

Try a piece of nylon double the size of your rod's lenght next time you are in your bellyboat, maybe you'll understand the complexity of the situation some people can manage themselves in...and find it neccesary to develop a product for this

greetings, Limpe
Old 06-20-2005, 08:59 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to baldmountain
Actually, I was considering trying to use a 2 handed rod from a kayak. One of the things I was truly worried about was how to change lines while in the boat. There would be no way to string the rod without something like like the GuideRunner. Although $24 is probably a bit more than I'd pay. Especially since 30' of old backing on a backing spool would work just as well.

http://www.nfaa-archery.org <-----<< My other passion.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.