Actual fishing report... - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2005, 11:34 AM

Actual fishing report...

Looks like this will be 1st actual report in a while.

04/05:
Ran out of work at 5pm on the button. Fly rod rigged, Spin gear strung with "3 and 4" Storm Wildeyes. 75mph up the Parkway... hit the Marina in record time. On the water @ 5:30pm. Mirror calm. Local Armada on the scene already. Snaked my way through 15 boats . Set up the drift. 1/4oz Clouser in hand... double haul..... FIRE! Strip Strip Strip.... Ziiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing!!!! Ahhhhh the familiar sound of my Ross's drag. Been a while. Landed and realeased a healthy 8lb Striper. With pne on the fly I went to the Spin gear for the #'s game. Limited time ... tides on the turn and it wouldn't be long before they up an vanish. Zip my Pearl Wild Eye a country mile... hop hop hop... reel, hop, reel, hop. BANG....... ZZZZZIIIIIING the Penn was a singing.... 3 other boats looking at me like WTF? Release a healthy 5lb fish. Second cast .... reel... hop hop... Whamo!!! Ziiiiing.. Lip and release another healthy 5lb fish. Boats creeping closer. Exchange pleasantries.... bombarded with questions... " What are you using? " I ignore the question. Cast again... hop hop hop... BANG!!! Fish on.... a little better one.. lip a nice 12lb fish . Boats move closer... 20ft off my bow now. Fire another cast ... right behind his boat.... hop hop... WHAM!!! Yet another 5lb fish. The Gentleman ( I personally cant stand ) asks again " Hey Mike.... what ya using... " I smile..... cast to the bow of his boat.... hop hop... WHAM!! Again a feisty 5-6lb fish. Now I notice hes pissed... I ask " What are you using? " He replies " Rapala" my reply " Guess its not working " He replies " Not as good as what you have" I reply " they can be fussy ".... I throw another cast at his stern.... no sooner hits the water... Im in again!!! He says " Unfrigging beleivable!!!" . There is an uneasy quiet now between us... he knows Im not his biggest fan... he asks again " Hey Mike... what ya using over there? " I calmly release the fish..... hold the lure in my hand and say " Oh this thing..... they call it a NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS " . With that he gave me the bird, grumbled some obcenities, kinda laughed... waived and moved on. All in all my buddy and me hit 15 or so fish in under an hour. Headed back to the marina with everyone still guessing what our secret weapon was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2005, 12:04 PM

Great report. It feels good to win.
FishHawk
Old 04-07-2005, 12:08 PM
Fly chucker

Gotta love that comaraderie among sportsmen.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dble Haul
Gotta love that comaraderie among sportsmen.
If it were anyone else asking me the questions I not only would have told him what I had but I would of given him a few. Heck I hand out flies and lures like they were free. This one particular Guy is a royal PITA. First guy to ask a million questions but try asking him one. I avoid the guy like the plague but when you are catching fish the guy is like GLUE.... he sticks around 10-20 feet from you. Casts over lines.... runs his engine through the honey hole, loud and generally obnoxious. The mutual dislike started years ago when he owned a fly shop. I bought my first Fly rod and Reel from the guy. Powell Silver Creek and a Hardy JLH Lightweight. I tripped and bent the frame on the reel. He wouldnt even look at me when I returned asking for help. He said it was my fault... and I quote " You deal with Hardy... I dont have time to deal with every problem you guys bring in here " Maybe he was right...... but at least try... I was 14 and just blew $600 for the rod and reel.

Then there was the Trico Hatch incident..... I wont get into that but lets just say I was 40yds down stream and he was upstream. After cursing and berating me for moving 3ft to shallower water it ended with me ( 17 at the time) giving him back some of his own medicine.

There are pleanty of other times I have crossed paths and been friendly only to be put down and ridiculed. So .... nice time is over.
Old 04-07-2005, 01:11 PM
Fly chucker

Relax, Mike. I was talking about him and his needling you on the water.

Interesting how you assumed that my comment was directed at you.
Old 04-07-2005, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dble Haul
Relax, Mike. I was talking about him and his needling you on the water.

Interesting how you assumed that my comment was directed at you.

Sorry about that... this guy really erks me. Im an easy guy to get along with, even when I dont like someone Im pretty willing to be cordial. But this guy is the exception. Im not the only one... alot of people out there see him and go the opposite direction.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.