New Rod Trouble - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2005, 10:54 AM
Whip some bass

New Rod Trouble

First off I'd like to say I'm not a very experianced caster by any standards, but I can cast my trusty 6wt fairly well, even with heavier flies. But, I can't seem to get my new 9wt to cast very well at all. The rod seems to load OK, but the line doesn't shoot through the guides when I try to put line out. I'm throwing fairly good size flies, but nothing that would hold the line up bad enough to hinder the cast like it is. What could be causing this extra friction, I put line dressing on and it still seems to drag more than normal. The guides appear to be smooth and nothing is out of line on the rod. I can't figure out what is causing this problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2005, 01:55 PM
Pullin' Thread

I suspect what you are experiencing has to do with going from the 6 wt to the 9 wt because your 9 wt is probably stiffer than the 6wt you have been using. However, unless you let us know what 6 wt rod and line and what 9 wt rod and line you are using, it will be very difficult for any of us to offer real help to you. The reason for needing to know the rods and lines you are using on them is the huge difference in rod actions from very slow, full flex (means the rod bends to the cork on most casts) to very fast, stiff, tip action (means the rod rarely bends more than half way).
Old 04-06-2005, 03:43 PM

try a different line

Go to your nearest flyshop and ask them to cast their demo line on the rod. Maybe the line you are using isn't matched very well to the rod. Some lines are better than others and sometimes a line gets mis-marked. If you have underlined the rod then the shooting ability won't be there. Also, make sure you don't have a double taper on the rod. You should be using a wf line on that rod, if you want to shoot line. Also try overlining the rod one up. cast a 10 wf on it, some faster actions will work better one line up.
Old 04-06-2005, 04:39 PM
Whip some bass

I've checked things out before and the line on the 9wt is a wf taper. It just doesn't seem to load the rod, which is an 8/9wt. The rod is a YAD rod, not sure on the specific model (don't have it next to me) but it has a fast type of action. Also the line is just the inexpensive kind they give you with combo's. My 6wt is a cheap Pfleuger, with wf 6wt fly line. The 6wt has a more moderate action than the 9, but still isn't whippy. I don't have a whole lot of experiance with rod matching because I taught myself to fly fish and don't have any fly shops near me. This was a less expensive combo (college takes more than fishing these days) but I had hoped it would be a good rig for the money. If I have to I'll look into 10wt line with a heavy taper, in fact it would be better for large pike flies that I intend to use with it, I just don't know why an 8-9 would need a 10 weight to cast correctly.
Old 04-06-2005, 05:34 PM
Pullin' Thread

Thanks for letting us know the rod makes. The Pfleuger you have is very much a full flex, slow rod that bends to the cork on most casts. There is nothing wrong with that type of action, it just feels very different from a faster, stiffer rod. Because your Pfleuger bends so far down the blank it is easy for you to "feel the load" on the rod, while the stiffer 9wt doesn't bend nearly so far or so readily, so it is harder to "feel the load" on it.

A 10 wt line would slow down and cause your 9 wt to bend further simply because it will overload the rod. That is why I don't think it is the best solution.

The WF 9 line you have will load the rod just fine; however, you need to put more power into the cast because of the rod being both stiffer and more powerful to cast the much heavier 9 wt line. To put it is perspective, your 6 wt is like a light action spinning rod for casting 3/8 oz spinners, and your 9 wt is like a medium heavy, faster action spinning rod for casting 1 oz spinners. This means there is quite a difference in how each casts, just like the difference in spinning rods that are designed for 3/8 oz and 3/4 oz lures.

You may be letting your wrist break on your backcast and forecast, which would add to the difficulty of casting the heavier line rod. Think in terms of throwing your backcast up in the air by stopping the rod when your hand comes even with your head and keep your thumb pointing at the sky. On the forecast, think is terms of pulling your casting hand (and rod) down until your elbow hits your side. Doing both of these will feel strange at first; but your casting will improve by doing them.

The best thing you can do is get some casting pointers from someone who is an experience fly caster in order to learn how to put enough power into the cast with the 9 wt. Barring that, there are two things you could do: 1) get a good casting video (Mel Kreiger or Lefty Krey for instance) and learn from it; and 2) practice casting the 9 wt on a lawn somewhere until you are comfortable casting 45'-50' of line with it. Learning the double haul will help a lot with casting the 9 wt and either of the videos I mentioned cover the double haul. There are also some on-line turorials on the double haul you can find by doing a google.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:16 PM
_

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon1986
. . . . Also the line is just the inexpensive kind they give you with combo's. . . . .
I bought one of the $39.99 5wt combos and the fly line that came with the outfit was some useless plastic coated string . I got some real line (just the cheap stuff) and that made a huge difference.

Q
Old 04-08-2005, 10:08 AM
Whip some bass

The line is Cortland Olympic, I looked it up and could only find it on clearance sales for 10-20$. It has a fairly textured coating and I'm not sure if that is the culprit. The lind on my 6wt is the cheap Scientific Anglers kind you buy at wal-mart for $15 and it works very well. I just don't know what to think.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.