Polarize glass que? - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2005, 02:13 PM

Polarize glass que?

I'm in the market for a new pair of polarized glasses, and b/c my far distance is getting fuzzy my first pair of prescription glasses. Must be getting old... I am leaning b/w action optics and maui jim both in a RX. The action optics I am thinking of getting are the photochromatic copper lenses. The Maui jim I was thinking b/w the rose and bronze. If anyone has any info on either brand fill me in. Any other brand out there that you would rec? I'll be using these for trout, smallmouth, steel and of course flats fishing. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2005, 02:19 PM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick
Love my costa del mar's. Won't really go wrong with any of the options you've listed though.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:37 PM
Jonesin...

One of the things I would consider is lens material. Given the cost of prescription lenses my vote would be for glass due to their durability. I know some will say the polycarbonates are safer and lighter but I absolutely destroyed my first pair of polycarbs in the first season. Unless you carry a waterbottle to rinse them off they will scratch (IMHO!) as the salt gets on them on the flats. With the glass you can wipe them clean with your shirt without damaging them. I really like the Clearwater Copper from AO. I own two pairs, one in the CC and one in the Amber for low light. With those two pairs I feel like I have any light condition covered.

Sean
Old 04-05-2005, 07:51 PM

Shades

I actually have both of the glasses that you are considering (one primary and one backup). Both are good glasses. I usually reserve the AO's with the copper photochromic lenses for overcast days or when fishing early am or late pm for tailers. The Photochromics are significantly lighter (in regards to shade) than the Maui Jim Rose colored glasses. The Rose colored glasses are my choice for bright days or when fishing ocean side sand flats. I would be careful as to which model of Maui Jim's that you go with if thats your choice - I bought a pair of Volcano's a couple of years ago and those things were heavier than my wade boots.

Of course - I tend to be a wee bit Obsessive Compulsive about these things and either would more than likely work out just fine.

Mike
Old 04-06-2005, 07:16 AM

Thanks for the replies! I'm going to the fly shop tonight to "ONLY" (yeah right, like walking into walmart and only picking up one thing) try on frames. I'm most likely getting the action optics w/ glass and photochromatic lenses. I'm pretty pumped.
Old 04-06-2005, 10:15 AM

I live in my Action Optics.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:18 AM

Well shoot! I went to fly shop and I was not wild about the frames that action optics had for RX glasses. I liked one style that AO had but they didn't make them in RX. Going to look closer at Maui Jims. With the Maui Jims for the fishing I do flats, and trout streams looking for an all around lens would I get the bronze lens or the rose color one? Thanks for the help.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:48 AM

I like bronze/copper lenses for all-around use.

I didn't see Hobie mentioned here. I would definitely check out their glass lenses (which they will grind to prescription). They are little heavy but the best I have used.
Old 04-07-2005, 02:40 PM

Have two pairs of the MJ's and absolutely love both of them
Old 04-14-2005, 09:38 AM
but the scenery's great

Can't go wrong with Action Optics

I own about nine pairs of AO glasses and think they are hands down, the best on the market. They make a pair of photochromatic amber lens that are absolutely exceptional on Bahamian flats. They light the bottome right up and silhouette the fish like nobody's business. When I was in Exumas a month ago, my guide glommed onto those and I had to basically pry them out of his hands at the end of the week!! The copper is also a killer color.

I ran into the same problem as you did with the prescriptions- the frames they use for the Rx have to allow for a flat lens are not as stylish as the rest. Not sure what advice to give you there, but AO also has a great warantee-good luck.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:37 AM

Again thanks for the replies and experiences you have with different brands. I went with the AO otis frames w/ photochromatic copper RX lenses. The otis frames fit me really well and have the non slip nose piece. They are not the most stylish frames, as I was hoping to wear them around town some, but for the price of polarized RX $230 ish and all the fish I will be seeing with them, I couldn't pass on them. I'll just buy a reg pair of glasses if needed. Besides I told my wife I am not trying to pick up any mermaids when I'm out fishing. I can't wait to get em!! Hopefully they will arrive before my FL trip.
It was funny when I got my eyes examined the doc was like hows your vision I'm said not bad things are just a little fuzzy from a distance not as sharp. She said oh, so you want them for driving. I said oh no for fishing Should have seen the look on her face.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.