Sage reels - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2005, 11:09 AM

Sage reels

Anyone using one of the Sage 3400 or 3500 saltwater reels? Are these reels as well made as their rods?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2005, 05:42 PM

Saw a couple that made a journey bonefishing last year that actually had a little corrosion develop on them (they were washed in fresh at the end of each day). They look cool and have a nice drag. IMHO they are way overpriced and not as good as a Danielsson HD series of reel.
Chris
Old 04-07-2005, 08:06 PM
Go Climb A Rock

Send a message via AIM to Youngpatawan
Sage Reels

Well, the sage reels were decent when they were made in the U.S. But now that they are made overseas and the prices are the same I am reluctant to give advice on purchasing one. My overall opinion is that they are not a bad reel but for that price and where they are made is another story. If I had to pick a reel for salt water I would recomend the J.Ryal's they are definatley a solid reel with a one of a kind drag system and they do offer them in a large arbor in there "Quick" sereies. Good Luck
Old 04-08-2005, 09:38 AM

Thanks for the help, guys. Appreciate your feedback.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:57 AM

I have a few of the Sage "D" series reels, and fished them pretty hard. I have noticed a little corosion where the reel foot and the reel meet. It might become a problem in 20 years or so. I never rinse these reels, so a little TLC might be in order.
They are over priced considering that they are now made in Korea, but I have compared the USA and offshore ones quite closesly and have foung no visible differences. I wish that they were made in the US, but functionally not a big deal. If theses reels cost $375, they would rule the world.
The drag is not quite as smooth as my Abels or Tibors. Not recomended for tarpon.
They are not as durable or pretty either.
So why do I fish them as often as the Abels and Tibors? The spools change quickly. When I am wading and want to travel light, that is important (better to have two Tibors than to be changing spools).
The Sage reels are SEALED. I have checked the internals (special tool required) and after a few seasons of no love and plenty of saltwater dunkings, they are clean and dry. There are only a few other reels that might be as good in that regard.
The drag is indexed and seems accurate. Set the rel to zero, strip off line, and set back to six in a quarter of a turn. That makes life easy. No more pulling line off with drag because you don't want to lose your perfect drag setting.
They are light for there size and have big arbors. When a bone is charging back at you, you will apreciate it. The 3400 is PERFECT on a six weight (or seven). The 3500 is good for a nine or ten.
So the Sage reel is expensive when compared to the higher quality Tibors and Abels. But it is, in a few important ways, a better fishing reel.
I really like them.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:49 PM

Thanks for the information, Eddie!

Last edited by Count; 04-12-2005 at 05:21 AM.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:47 AM
rankinstein

overseas

Hello is this a fact that these Sages are made overseas?Just wondering what country( Asia)?China, S. Korea Etc.This sure makes one rethink buying.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:41 PM
Go Climb A Rock

I believe that they are made in china but not 100% sure. I know that they are made over seas because I work for a fly shop and we stoped carrying them because they are now made over seas. Figures.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:49 PM

they are made in S.Korea. From what I can tell, the only difference is the red sticker on the reel foot.
If I had a shop, I would like to think that I would only carry stuff made in the US, but that would exclude a ton of good, well priced gear. I'm not sure if any leader material is produced in the states. The Sage reel isn't the only excellent reel made out of the country. Islander and Hardy come to mind. Unless you only sold Sims GTX, I don't think that any one else makes breathable waders (I think their cheaper ones are made out of country too). Wading boots? Danner might be the only US mfg. What about flys!
It would be cool to have a "Made in America" boutique. Only the best, and most expensive stuff.....
It is too bad to see products that could be produced in the States made abroad, but I guess that's where things are headed. I wouldn't let the Sage reels country of manufacture be a deciding factor. The new ones (made in Korea) are better than the first ones (made in the USA). Water works used to make them. I wonder if Water Works reels are now made in Korea too. Anyone know?
Old 04-26-2005, 05:42 PM
rankinstein

perspective

Thanks Eddie for that angle .I'd just rather see products made in North America which leads to local jobs that's kind of the bottom line for me.Oh yeah how about those Canadian made Islanders eh !!

Last edited by rankinstein; 04-26-2005 at 09:58 PM.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:55 PM
Go Climb A Rock

Eddie,

We carry products made over seas but I was refering to mostly the rods and reel aspects more than anything. I should have been more specific with my post sorry brother. Tight Lines
Old 04-27-2005, 10:05 AM

I decided to pass on the Sage reels. Being made overseas is one thing. But they should have lowered the price accordingly.

Maybe there are some good things being made overseas, fly-fishing-equipment-wise. But I think all the truly great things are still made in the U.S., Tibor reels among them.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:55 AM

really, it's a feature/function comparison between the Tibor and Sage. I own and fish with both. Each has it's significant advantages.
The Sage is lighter and less expensive, the spools change easier and are cheaper, the drag is sealed and very easy to adjust quickly and accurately and the arbor is bigger.
The Tibor is beefier, has a smoother drag, has a fancier finish/build (can't get a gold or red or blue Sage. bling bling! ). Tibor is a class act. Abels are every bit as good (better in some ways, not as good in others). If you like those kind of reels, you have to consider the Abel too. And the Isalnder, but it's made by foreigners (unless you're Canadian).
I own and fish all four. Most of my shore fishing is done with the Sages. Most of my boat fishing is done with the others.
I wish that Sage would have lowered their price, but maybe they couldn't and still make some money. Or maybe they looked at the market and thought, "hey, we've got a good reel here. it's worth it." K2 skiis are made in Asia. They are no cheaper, and they are among the best out there. If you want the best, it is always pricey. The vannstall and the loop reels were the only ones that were close, and they have similar price tags. Danielson has shaken things up a bit.

Last edited by Eddie; 04-27-2005 at 10:57 AM.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:33 AM

Another made in America option is Old Florida. The Nautilus has gotten great reviews and praise from those that have used it. Sealed drag as well. I don't own an OF but have talked with them on several occasions and they were more than responsive to my needs. Sponsor of this site as well.
Chris
Old 04-28-2005, 09:13 AM
but the scenery's great

Sage reels for salt

I was using a 3400 for the salt a few years ago, but really didn't like how light they were. I know I am being ultra picky, but they did not balance my 9' Scott rod out well and I found myself working a little harder to cast than I am used to. I switched to a Bauer M4 (now the MX4) and have been extremely happy with this reel. It is basically bombproof and the drag is sealed a lot tighter. I usually ended up with a lot of sand and grit in the Sage, and the Bauer has not had that problem. I have generally not been happy with my Sage reels-I have bought or been given three of them, and every one of them has had something about it that I haven't liked. Still outperform any Orvis reel. Good looking reels though. I also had a little bit of corrosion on the 3400, like some of the other posts. Good luck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.