Redington RS2 & My Honeymoon - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2005, 08:38 PM

Redington RS2 & My Honeymoon

I recently purchased a Redington RS2 8'-6" 5 wt rod for my fiance, who is a beginner at Fly Casting. My goal is to teach her to fly cast well enough to be comfortable fishing with me during our trip out west for our Honeymoon. Yes, believe it or not I will be fly fishing during my Honeymoon!!

I casted the Redington RS2 rod before I purchased it and both my fiance and I seemed to like it. However, now that I've purchased it, I'm thinking that the action may be a tad fast for her. Does anyone have experience with Redington RS2 rods? Is this a good rod for a beginner? Would the RS2 be considered a fast or medium/fast action? Would a slower action rod be more forgiving and easier for her to learn with?

Also, anybody have any recommendations for a fly fishing trip out west? Montana? Wyoming? Should I look into a guide or explore on my own? I have never been out west, as I do most of my trout fishing in the midwest.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2005, 12:12 AM

Well......

Congrats Yooper,
Sounds like a great way for you two to get to enjoy each others company. Now lets back up a bit. The Redington RS2 is the old model, replaced by the RS3 this year. Both good rods, both fast. The 8'6" has me a bit concerned, and the fast action has me a bit concerened, for the beginner. Have you had her outside to practice cast? If she is a beginner, she will not be able to tell what is right and what is not, you will have to watch her cast and decide if the rod is doing what "She" needs it to do. This can only be done by spending some time doing "real time" casting. You can set up a simple target, have her roll out some line (with leader and tippet, no fly), then stand back and watch her cast. Local Elementary School playgrounds in the evening on a dry day are great for this!
She should not have to "Force Her Cast", if she is, I think the rod is wrong! Her casting should be pretty effortless. For a beginner, I would chose a 9' 5wt mod-fast rod. They are a bit more forgiving. Your post sounds like you might have "seen" some of this already.
As far as the trip out west, depends on when you are coming.....so when are you comming?
Time to fill in the blanks.

Deerhawk
Old 04-05-2005, 12:20 AM

WELCOME!

Glad to have you on board!
Deerhawk
Old 04-05-2005, 01:00 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Nooksack Mac
Slowing things down

Yooper,

As many have discovered, uplining a rod by one size usually slows down its action appreciably. Also, a heavier line (in this rod's case, a size 6) is easier for the beginner to feel flexing the rod, even if it's not the optimum line for casting at an intermediate and advanced level. Another benefit is that it's a lot cheaper than replacing the rod!
You want her to learn to consistently straighten out the line and leader at 20-30 feet. Don't bother about her trying to throw dagger-pointed loops at two or three times that distance, for now.
Old 04-05-2005, 07:58 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
Welcome to the board Yooper. Congrats on the marriage, and on getting to fly fish during the honeymoon! I just got married in December and also got to do some fly fishing on my honeymoon, but it was for bones in the Bahamas.

A slower rod is definitely easier to learn to fish with, so the RS2 may make it a little more difficult for her to learn. But you never can tell, some people pick up fly casting really easily. I taught my wife how to fly cast, and she picked it up in less than an hour. The most important thing I found when teaching her was to focus on the basics of the motion, and to get her to understand that a good cast will feel "right". It'll be smooth and you won't feel any jerks during your motion. She was using a pretty fast rod too.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:35 PM

Honeymoon schedule

Our honeymoon is planned for Sept. 25th - Oct. 2nd. I know this is a bit late for ideal fishing conditions, but what can I expect in terms of productive trout fishing and hatches? I really enjoy dry fly fishing. Might there be any dry action, besides possibly some hopper action?

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I feel as if I should have trusted my gut and purchased one of the rods w/ a more moderate action. I got a great deal on the rod and I, myself, appreciated the faster action. Even though, at the time, my fiance couldn't really cast the rod for herself, she did like the feel and balance of the rod. I guess I'll just start to teach her to flycast and if I feel the fast action of this rod is holding her back, then I'll look into getting her a different rod.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:03 PM

thoughts

I think the uplining of the rod is good advice and if you take the rod to a local fly shop they will likely string a demo line to see if it helps. if so grab the line and if not grab a new rod. Well worth keeping a new bride happy with her fly fishing What a deal

On the sept/oct travel I would recommend a trip to Yellowstone, along with your nuptials the elk will be in rut and the trees in full color change. The firehole will have some solid BWO hatches and fall run browns will be in the madison. The NE corner of the park is beautiful and should be fishing very nicely. Try to get Craig Matthews book on the fishing in yellowstone and it will give you a road map (forget the exact name). Better yet call his shop and get a guide .... Mike comes to mind and he is a swell guy; Blue Ribbon Flies in West Y. If you wanted to divide your time and enjoy some nice scenery take a day or two and go to the Tetons. You could fly to West Yellowstone, Bozeman, or SLC and drive in from either direction.
Not sure of your locale but a fly fisher that has not sampled the Yellowstone area has really missed out. Do yourself a favor and book a guide for a day or two and save the recon work that could consume your trip. If you enjoy the rustic side of things book a night at the old faithful inn in the old lodge ... you can see through the walls and the windows leak like i'll get out but it just oozes the feeling of the west

enjoy and congrats, Travis
Old 04-05-2005, 11:22 PM

YEA!

Yooper,
I have to concur with Travis, his Yellowstone idea is a top notch one! And the guide will get you two right into the action!
Congrats folks! Keep us posted!
Deerhawk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.