Fly Fishing Forum banner

What kind of fly for sheepshead?

7K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  JD FLIES! 
#1 ·
I have know idea what you would use for catching these things if any. Any input would be appreciated. thanks

#3 ·
my two cents

any small crab pattern like a size 2 or a 4 of the same colors as local fiddler crabs which are the same color as the sand/mud in your area.....tie/ a bunch cause if u get on those razor mouthed guys the furry flies dont last too long.....also id defintaley make sure to have a sink tip or full sinking line to get down towards the bottom of the pylons.

#5 ·
works great!

for sheephead tie a small crazy charlie in all black with a little gold flash, and keep the fly slowly moving if you stop the sheephead will turn off of the fly in a hurry! when they hit the fly they will usually pin the fly to the bottom and then suck it in. so when you see the sheephead "dip" his head down pause for a split second then strike. it only takes a sheep head a fraction of a second to suck in a small crab or barnicle,crush it, swallow the meal and spit out the empty shell, so if you wait too long he'll just suck in the fly and spit it back out. the fly i tie is in #4-#6 wrap the shank of the hook with black thread to "build it up a little" then make a few wraps over the thread with gold flash, use clear epoxy over the body and dumbell eyes. once dry tie in a short wing of black calf tail (crazy charlie style) then epoxy the thread between the eye of the hook and the dumbell eyes. this fly is killer on sheep head in the shallows around oyster beds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.