Florida Keys - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2005, 09:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to silverbullet Send a message via Yahoo to silverbullet
Florida Keys

Well after all of the help i got here I made my trip to the keys. I was not able to go after bones but still had a fun time. We did spend some time chasing fish with live shrimp and trolling , still took the flyrod out and caught a mix of fish. The best was a day when we had finished up with the shrimp and I picked up the fly and cast it out into the incoming tide, let the clouser swing under the bridge when it stopped dead,First thought..snag , then it started moving. 20 minutes later my first ever tarpon came to the boat. A few pics and back in the water to revive. Fish was the 30 to 40 pound range. After a few high fives I looked at the tippet and had to retie from the abrasions. I was done but my dad aid 6 more casts. well that proved to be agood idea as I hooked 3 more. These all bigger fish.Lost them all. Two at the jump and one ran me to the bridge. I am hooked on these powerful fish. Next time I venture down the score should be different as the 8wt will not be the gun used. Something a bit heavier next round.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2005, 08:28 PM
Captain Dave R.

Congrats ... and so sorry

Congrats!!!! Tarpon are Awesome fish aren't they!?! So Sorry because now you are an addict like the rest of us. You'll spend the rest of your life chasing the Silver King with a fly rod. Glad you caught some fish and wishing you many more.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:58 PM

Send a message via AIM to silverbullet Send a message via Yahoo to silverbullet
That is so true. I want to go back already with a 10 wt in hand and get the big boys that broke me off. I loved it so much next time I go thats all i want to go after. My dad enjoyed watching me so much he is now going to get back into flyfishing. He was talking about getting a rod before i left. Look out next year, bigger fish to the boat for sure.

Jeff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.