FF jettys - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2005, 09:52 PM

FF jettys

what is the basic gear you need for fly fishing jettys?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2005, 10:38 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

1) a very good stripping basket

2) very good shoes

3) the following rules:

- keep the fly on the downwind side at all times (while casting)
- if the rocks are black, don't step there
- high tide is safest on the rocks
- give ample room for other anglers on the jetty

otherwise the rest is the same as the beach
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 04-03-2005, 08:00 AM
_

a couple other things to consider:

- fish from a spot where you have a safe way to get close to the water to land and release your fish. It is not good to drag the fish up the rocks and then throw them back into the water or accidentally drop them down between the rocks.

- fly line just loves to get tangled on the rocks, especially in waves or current. You can ruin or lose your line in a hurry if you're not careful.

Q
Old 04-03-2005, 08:14 AM
Recovering Albie-holic

"Korkers", or other types of strap-on cleats can be verry useful when standing on slippery rocks. They have small metal spike on the bottoms.

Don't laugh, but a long-handled net can be very useful to land fish from a jetty. I carry a telescoping net with me when I fish RI and it saves climbing way down on the wet and slippery rocks (see above-Korkers )
Old 04-07-2005, 05:48 PM

Hey canal rat, you the same guy who posts on New England Fishing?

You've come to the right place for the last word on salty flyfishing in New England [or any kind of flyfishing for that matter, the salty kind is just why I'm here].
This wasn't the first site for New England saltwater flyfishing but is by far the best. Most of us started at that "other" site, but I for one don't even check it anymore [bunch 'o baitfishermen over there...not that there's anything wrong with that LOL].

You need to be more specific in your question. Are you asking what size flyrod? What flies? Auxialliary gear? What species? What jetties?
What do you throw now? Or are you planning on purchasing some gear? If you're in the market, I'm sure Juro has some progressive ideas, LOL.

Obviously the species will matter as far as line and flies but I wouldn't consider anything under a 9 weight for rod size. I prefer intermediate clear lines but I sometimes get my butt kicked by guys throwing sinking lines. Spare spools with a choice of lines is the way to go.

For stripers, you only need one pattern [gonna ruffle some hackles now]. The tried and true Lefty's Deceiver is the only fly you ever need to tie if bass, even big bass, are your goal. 'course your gonna hafta tie some big ones and some little ones, some sparse ones and some bulky ones, some with long hackles and some with short hackles, some with blue backs, some with black blacks, some with yellow backs and some with green backs, but the good news is, it doesn't matter what the main hackle color is...as long as it's white. Oh ya, don't forget some red for the head.

Choice of jetty will matter because there are still some places where surf casters rule. It's better than it was ten years ago, but I still wouldn't expect a warm welcome for the long rod at say, Charleston breachway on the new moon in late October.
Choice of species matter for the same reason. If you show up with a flyrod at Weakapoag when the albies are in, you'll be amongst friends. Show up at the same spot durning a bluefish blitz and expect to feel lonely.

As you may have noticed from the other posts, saftey is an important issue. Trust me when I say the ambulence drivers at the Westerly Hospitol know the way to Weakapoag by now.
Many will advocate cleats, and they are certainly the best grip, but not the most comfortable or convienent. Felt soles are almost as good and far, far more comfortable to use. I would not bother going out with any rubber soles, no matter how textured they are. The leg you break may be your own.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:08 PM

truth is that i got a sage DS fly rod 5wt to fish for trout and learn with. i plan on getting a saltwater outfit soon im set on a 10wt templefork the fly rod is a great tool for times when the fish are on small bait . i love fishing jettys and rocky areas so i wear hip boots and Korkers. im canal rat on fishing new england forums.i have been fishing with conventional and spinning gear all my life. fly fishing is like relearing fishing all over again.

Last edited by CANAL RAT; 04-11-2005 at 02:11 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.